Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal FaceTime error occured

I installed FaceTime on my MacBook Pro, but when I go to the Applications and try to open it, it says "An internal FaceTime error occurred. There was a problem with FaceTime. You need to quit and open Face Time again." When I do, nothing changes. Any suggestions on what I can do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 5:42 PM

12 replies

Apr 21, 2012 2:11 PM in response to RayRay41

Finally I did. In my case, turns out I had my webcam attached to a peripheral USB hub. Because my type of webcam needed the USB for power, it wasn't getting enough from the hub and therefore wasn't fully functional, which is why Facetime was giving me the error. All I had to do is attach the USB directly to my mac and now it works fine. So check and make sure your webcam is fully functioning if you are getting that message.

Sep 6, 2012 2:24 PM in response to cheerios101

I was getting the same error, and I could not find the file to copy that others had mentioned. However, I found a fix that works for me. I did a "control + click" on the facetime icon in the dock, selected "options" then "remove from dock". Once it was gone, I opened "launchpad" opened Facetime from launchpad, then when the icon was in the dock I did another "control + click", "options" and then "keep in dock". Now I have no problem opening it. Hope this helps someone else.

Sep 9, 2012 11:50 AM in response to TheMeester

Hi, i own a brand new early 2011 macbook pro. recently when i tried to use facetime, it didn't work. i never had to use facetime so i don't know when it stopped working. however it just doesn't work. whenever i click on facetime, a dialog box pops up saying, "An internal FaceTime error occurred. There was a problem with FaceTime. You need to quit and open FaceTime again." and i have to quit it since there is absolutely nothing i can do. i even tried buying it again on the appstore, but, even that does not work because it says i already have it. i really need to get facetime working back again. please help me out, someone.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Jun 25, 2013 4:45 AM in response to cheerios101

Hi all,

After installing FaceTime on my mac, I kept receiving the error message that some of you mentioned. It took a while, but I finally figured out my problem. It may work for some of you as well.

Ist, I had to purchase/download OS X Mountain Lion. If you don't see the icloud icon under system preferences, you may need to do this also. Then click on the icon to set up your icloud account and check your FaceTime again. Hopefully it will work.

Good luck!!!

Internal FaceTime error occured

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.