Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to bookmark a file

Before I updated to Lion I was able to bookmark a text file within Safari so that I could click on the title in Safari and the text file would then open. It was an easier way for me to get to a file that I use often while using Safari (an example is that I keep all my credentialling codes in a text file and when I need to fill in a form while online I would be able to easily click on the bookmark shortcut to that file and it would open up instead of having to navigate to the folder that I have the original file buried in). Now in Lion I can still place the item into the bookmark bar but nothing happens when I click on the bookmark. Do I need to enable something or is it just not possible anymore?

iMac 20in (Intel), MacBook Pro (2.53GHz), Original iPhone, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 8:16 PM

12 replies

Sep 7, 2011 8:25 PM in response to AdamKB

Sure, I guess I could just put the file in my dock or on the desktop for that matter, but I like to keep everything tidy. Also I had some other files that had lists of passwords that I also would shortcut to and I like to keep those buried for at least a modicum of security (having all my passwords in one file is probably not smart, but makes life a lot easier!). Basically I was previously able to effectively put a hyperlink to a file or folder within the bookmark bar but now I can't any more.

Sep 7, 2011 8:44 PM in response to TosaDeac

I also just tested several Bookmarks to local files - it worked with .pdf, .txt, .png

- but it worked only with newly added bookmarks, the old bookmarks to local files I created before the upgrade to Lion no longer work.

Perhaps it will help if you just recreate your old bookmarks.

Also I had some other files that had lists of passwords that I also would shortcut to and I like to keep those buried for at least a modicum of security (having all my passwords in one file is probably not smart, but makes life a lot easier!).

That is "security by obscurity" and quite risky - have you considered to put your critical notes and files into a password protected sparse bundle? That would be easy to access, all in one place - you can organize it like a local file system, mount it only if you need the access, and the data would be protected by the password.

Sep 7, 2011 8:51 PM in response to léonie

So I saved the file as a .txt instead and it opened the file in the browser but that is not what it did in the past, it used to open up the file in a seperate TextEdit window instead which was more useful because I could stay on the web page i needed to enter info into and also could edit the file and make changes as well.

I completely agree with riskiness of having a non-pasword-protected file contain all that information but that is why I tried to not have it pinned to my dock or sitting on my desktop. I figured if it was buried deeper and the hyperlink in my bookmarks was not labeled something obvious like "passwords" it was both convenient and accessible without having to have a seperate password vault program that I need to login to each time I need information.

Sep 7, 2011 8:59 PM in response to AdamKB

Nothing happens when I drop the .rtf

When I drop a .pdf or .txt then I get that document loaded up in the Safari window, but nothing with the .rtf which seems odd.

Like I mentioned, I want it to work like it previously did on Snow Leopard....click on the bookmark and open the .rtf in a seperate TextEdit window.

How to bookmark a file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.