Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

converting .mov to avi

i edited a .avi file that someone sent me using imovie.....i saved it and its saved as a quicktime file .mov....i want to send it back to the person but they cant play it...they have a pc with quicktime but still cant play it.....do i need to convert it back avi....if so how do i do it preferably free.......ne advice on what to do is appreciated...thanks

g3 ibook 700 mhz 14inch, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Jan 23, 2006 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2006 9:29 PM

You can convert your file back to AVI using iMovie HD. Please read the entire message first.

Open your file in iMovie.

1- Under the file menu select "Share..."
2- When the dialog box opens click on "QuickTime"
3- From the dropdown menu "Compress movie for:" select "Expert Settings"
4- Press the "Share" button and another dialog box opens.
5- From the dropdown menu "Export:" select "Movie to AVI"
6- Select "Where" your want to save your movie and click on "Save"

Note: There is an "Option" button next to the "Export" button where you can change the Compression Type, Motion (Frames/Sec, Key Frame, Data Rate), and Compressor (Depth and Quality). I used the default settings which were Medium Quality, 24 frames/sec and Cinepak compression type. Someone else may have a recommendation for other settings.

It took about 20 minutes for a 5:16 minute movie to compress to AVI with the resulting file being 114 mb in size.

Good Luck!

Den

20" iMac G5 2.0, 250 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.3)
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2006 9:29 PM in response to bluehalo46

You can convert your file back to AVI using iMovie HD. Please read the entire message first.

Open your file in iMovie.

1- Under the file menu select "Share..."
2- When the dialog box opens click on "QuickTime"
3- From the dropdown menu "Compress movie for:" select "Expert Settings"
4- Press the "Share" button and another dialog box opens.
5- From the dropdown menu "Export:" select "Movie to AVI"
6- Select "Where" your want to save your movie and click on "Save"

Note: There is an "Option" button next to the "Export" button where you can change the Compression Type, Motion (Frames/Sec, Key Frame, Data Rate), and Compressor (Depth and Quality). I used the default settings which were Medium Quality, 24 frames/sec and Cinepak compression type. Someone else may have a recommendation for other settings.

It took about 20 minutes for a 5:16 minute movie to compress to AVI with the resulting file being 114 mb in size.

Good Luck!

Den

20" iMac G5 2.0, 250 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.3)

converting .mov to avi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.