Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag a number of slides to the timeline with transitions automatically inserted?

This was easy in FCP 7.

I could import a number of slides of x seconds duration, select them all and drop them in the "Insert with transition" box in the Canvas.

A hundred slides of a selected duration could be made into a video complete with transitions in the time it takes to write this.

I can't find a way to do this in FCP X.

1. I can import the slides of a chosen duration but when I select them all and drag them to the timeline they all revert to 10 seconds.

2. I can find no way of adding transitions other than one at a time.

3. Nor can I find any way of adding the Ken Burns effect to multiple photos.

I know that for high quality presentations I need to treat each picture individually and lavish loving care and attention on it, but occasionally there are times when it is necessary to make a quick but moderately impressive presentation in minutes rather than hours, days, weeks . . . .

I could do all that in FCP 7.

Can it be done in FCP X or will I have to rely on the good old stalwart?

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 3:05 PM

To add the transitions select them all and press Cmd-T just like FCP7.

You could apply Ken Burns to multiple images in FCP7? How'd you do that?

13 replies

Sep 9, 2011 1:21 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Sorry but my brain is being particularly thick this morning.

I put in the new duration (3 seconds) but nothing changes.

Cmd-T adds the transitions OK though the duration is still pretty much the same (around 10 seconds) though the transitions have slightly shortened the duration of the project (timeline).

The final instructions about "Select the clips and click crop. Select each clip with the transform function active and click Ken Burns" have me completely baffled.

There's obviously something simple that I am missing.

Sep 9, 2011 3:34 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

You want to make all the stills three seconds. Select all the stills in the timeline. Open duration. Control-D. Type in the value. All the clip durations will change. Isn't that what you want?

Selec the clips. They're all selected. Turn on the transform crop function. It's turned on for all the clips. Click a clip. Clip the Ken Burns effect in the open crop controls.

Sep 9, 2011 4:24 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Got it!

There was a slight ambiguity in your description and I was "reading" the incorrect way.

In case anyone else has my problem understanding, these are the steps I took.

Having altered the duration of the clips in the timeline and with all of them selected, I looked in the Inspector and in the Crop section I altered the "Type" from Trim to Ken Burns.

My mistakes were caused by fiddling with the Crop and Transform buttons at the bottom of the Viewer/Canvas window.

Drag a number of slides to the timeline with transitions automatically inserted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.