Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail/mail failing

I am reaching meme proportion frustration here (fffuuuu!) with apple mail and gmail. I have been to google help forums and here to try and solve this but so far no luck.

I am using a macbook pro, OSX 10.5.8, mail 3.6. For the last few days I have been unable to receive any emails and sending an email is very hit and miss. I have unlocked captcha on google, I have enabled POP and added a new mailbox with IMAP settings but neither work. The accounts keep going offline for some reason so I have to repeatedly bring the accounts online again. I am using port 995 with SSL checked.

I use my macbook as my main pc and when I checked things out in "mail connection doctor" it's saying;

"could not connect to gmail pop server. check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the account preferences. also verify that the server supports ssl. if it does not uncheck the "use ssl" checkbox in the advanced tab in account preferences".

I haven't changed any preferences, I have double checked all the settings and everything is as it should be but no email. I have tried adding another gmail account to my mailbox and it's locked out with the same problems listed as my original gmail account. Quite simply, gmail will not work as either pop or imap.

Fortunately I can access my emails on my Ipad 2, so I have no idea why my macbook is suddenly locked out- it's really frustrating. I have been checking out various forums and it looks like this is not an isolated incident either, a fair few people are having issues with accessing gmail via apple mail. Someone suggested I upgrade to Mail 4 but I don't know if I can do that for free (I can't afford to buy new software at this time) and I have seen numerous complaints from Mail 4 users with regards to gmail anyway, so who knows if that would be a fix or not.

Two additional factors that probably have nothing to do with this;

I have Sophos anti-virus installed.

Acouple of weeks ago I had a certificate verification pop up occur when I was accessing my email requiring that I verify the presented security certificate and, not realising there was any issue, I accepted the cert. Then I heard about the DigiNotar security breach and removed it from my "trusted certificates" list on my macbook pro (firefox security preferences).

I have no idea if that's what has caused the problem in the first place, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Any ideas how to sort this out? I really don't want to go through the hassle of creating a new email and updating my various blogs etc. I am also not the worlds most computer literate gal, so it's probably safer to assume I know nothing when giving advice 😉

TIA

Subscribe

Subscribe to the User uploaded file feed for this discussion

Go to:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 7:11 PM

2 replies

Sep 8, 2011 7:44 PM in response to skram71

I'm using mail 4.5 under Snow Leopard, and gmail works.

My account is a pop account, with pop.gmail.com and username (not fully qualified, just the user name without '@gmail.com') and password. Advanced options are like yours 995, SSL, and password. Outgoing server name is smtp.gmail.com, and advanced options are use default ports, use SSL, authentication password, fully qualified username (user@gmail.com), and password.

Jul 27, 2012 10:31 AM in response to skram71

i'm having just the same problems. I have a demon account on my macbook mail 3.6 which sends and receives emails with no problem. My new gmail account is fine on the gmail website and I can send emails via my macbook mail but it just can't receive them via macbook mail and I've also done all the stuff skram did.

What do we need to do so our gmails arrive in our mailboxes?

Gmail/mail failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.