Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop file size limits?

So I have airdrop working between my 2011 Macbook air and my 2011 iMac. Problem is tonight I went to send an 8 gig file and it fails right away. I tried it multiple times, tried rebooting, tried the force quit finder trick to no avail. I tried another file that was 1 gig and it worked, then I tried 2 gigs and it worked, I tried a different 8 gig file and it failed right away. Does airdrop have a file size limit? I am not using FAT32 drives so there is no limit. If it does have a limit then airdrop is the worst feature ever added and marketed as a major feature, more like a major fail.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 27" i7

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 11:21 PM

8 replies

Sep 11, 2011 7:06 PM in response to screamingmonkey

I'm also wondering the same thing. Have had major problems trying to transfer any single file larger than around 4GB. It'll either fail right away or the progress circle will appear and just never move. I've also noticed that with these large files, it takes an unacceptably long time for the permission request to appear on the recieving computer. Sometimes it never does.

Dec 24, 2015 8:01 PM in response to screamingmonkey

I'd really like a formal answer to this question. Almost 30k people have viewed this post, I'm guessing there is some interest in the answer. I'm running into the same problem. I take lots of photos and my wife edits them on her computer. I would like to be able to airdrop all of them from a trip in one shot but I can't right now. I have to create a finder folder, export all the photos to that, then open an airdrop finder window to get them to her. Fairly time consuming this way.

Mar 11, 2016 10:18 AM in response to screamingmonkey

3/10/2016 iphone6 to ipad mini 4 (latest sw updated on both).

Tried airdrop several times on a 3GB video file. After 25% to 75% transferred (different each attempt), all fail.

3/11/2016 it occurs to me to plug both devices in while transferring.

Same file worked first attempt and transferred much faster. Also tried on a 6GB file and it worked first time. Tried other smaller files and all worked first time.

(... maybe something else changed overnight to fix my problem, but...)

all I can guess is that charging while airdropping helps (!?!).

Oct 19, 2016 12:35 AM in response to screamingmonkey

REASON : file format and encoding. You might have format shown as mp4 but when you hit spacebar to preview them on quicktime (mac) that would not play

FIX : convert or remove those files from mac which do not play on quicktime (these files generally have no preview)

i ensured that all files play on quicktime and then moved approx 11 GB of those files. i have used free mp4 convertor from apple store to convert them.

good luck

Dec 26, 2016 12:34 PM in response to screamingmonkey

Can't believe this question was posted 5 years ago yet no answer from any Apple representatives. I have an iPad mini 4 running on iOS 9.1.2 and I have noticed that airdropping items, whether images or videos, more than 100 in number will have great chances of failing so whenever I use airdrop I only limit them to 100 which ***** and by the way, is really inconvenient. This is also consistent across devices such as my friend's iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 9.x whenever we go on a trip and later on airdrop the photos - more than 100 and the Photos app crash.

Airdrop file size limits?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.