Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash Can Not Accepting Files

I just bought the 2011 MacBook Air, it's on OS Lion. Everytime I try to delete a file (by dragging it to the trash can) I get a pop-up message that says "This file will be deleted perrmantely." The file does NOT get placed into the trash can, it's instantly gone forever. Why????????

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.4), Lion

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 11:15 PM

5 replies

Oct 15, 2011 5:35 PM in response to Matt_925

Hi Matt!

This is IcemanKo70 from Brazil.

I just got exactly the same problem as you've described.

Actually I've contacted Apple Support down here in Brazil and runned the following steps:

1- Run Disk Utility app (user/aplications/utilities/), select hard disk and run VERIFY DISK PERMISSIONS

2- Afterwards, nn the Disk Utility app run REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS.

Well I did it and in my case no success.

3-Restarting system keep pushing left SHIFT buttom to run MAC OS on SECURITY mode and do the same steps described above.

I've had no positive result.

Finnaly I was advised to find out file: com.apple.finder.plist at user/library/preferences

At this point, in my case, I couldn't find out

4-Well restarting MAC OS pushing buttons COMMAND+R you will see that you can reinstall MAC OS LION

I did it

NO FIX AT ALL. I still have the same pop-up message as like yours and accepting to delete the arquives, files go forever.

So I'm figuring that this is a system bug. Futhermore I have 3 users on my macbook pro just one of them is showing this problem.

Please let me know if one of the steps I described above helped you. In addition, whether or not you have any info on how to fix it.

Thank you

Oct 15, 2011 8:59 PM in response to IcemanKo70

Hey thanks for your note. I tried all of your suggestions but nothing fixed it 😟 Since I'm on a new machine I suppose I could call customer service, but I'm just a little lazy. For now, my work-around is to have a folder on my desktop called "My trash" so I have that intermediate level before deleting. But nevertheless, this is not acceptable for long term. I will let you know if I find out more, maybe I'll go to the Genius bar.

Oct 16, 2011 5:40 AM in response to Matt_925

Well, what measures to fix it is going to be I'm quite frustrated with Mac OS Lion anyway.

These kinds of problems makes me remembering other Operational Systems introductions.

Unfortunately I've no way like Online Lane, Genius bar as you've got in the US. Phone line is the only way to go through down here.

I'll let you know as soon as I achieve the correct procedure to fix it.

Thank you

Oct 21, 2011 4:25 PM in response to IcemanKo70

I spent an hour with Apple Care, they were very helpful! Finally got mine fixed. Apparently mine was not a bug, but a flaw in the migration process which messed me up. If you get absouletly stuck, try creating a new user account, because when I tried that the probelm did NOT exist on the new account. That's how we knew it was not a system bug. But utlitmaly what fixed me was to restart the machine and hold down the Option key. Go into the "Terminal" in the top menu bar. Then, select your account, and at the very bottom hit "restore password" (don't update or change your password). Then, restart the machine and you can logon with the same password you always used. And that fixed me. I may have my terminolgy off on my steps listed here as I am going strictly by memory and we clicked on so many things my brain is having a hard time keeping everything straight. Anyhow, I hope this helps, I appreciate you taking the time to help me earlier.

Trash Can Not Accepting Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.