Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor never finishes

Has anyone else had problems with Compressor never finishing jobs?

I took a load of HD video with my Canon 7D at the weekend and I used Compressor to make the resulting files smaller for sharing.

However, when I originally submitted all 10 compressions in one job, it never finished the first file.

So I then submitted them all as separate jobs and left it overnight, when I came back, I notice that aside from one that I actually edited with FCPX (the rest I just processed direct from the camera) the conversion jobs all ran for about 2 hours each (each is about a 5 minute video) and the status show between 2 and 10 minutes processing remaining, but Compressor went onto the next file. When I tentatively checked the output files that in theory Compressor says are still in progress, I find I can play them end to end - i.e. the job is actually done but Compressor is sitting there on 9 of the 10 jobs saying 2-10 minutes to go.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iMac 27", Compressor 4

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 6:21 AM

3 replies

Jun 7, 2012 11:54 PM in response to hedgert

I also am experiencing this problem. I am trying to compress from Final Cut Pro to make an MPEG 2 DVD which is 2hrs and 18 minutes duration. The processing seems to never complete even leaving it overnight. I would like to find out if there is a limit to the duration that a dvd can run on Compressor. I have looked at the settings for MPEG2 for DVD and it seems to be 123 minutes maximum. Surely there must be a way of changing this to accept longer runs? I have reoorded a stage show which runs for over the two hours length.

Jun 8, 2012 4:22 AM in response to Recovery33

Select the video strem in the batch window and open Inspector. In the Encoder pane click on the Quality tab. Select the desired mode (CBR or VBR). Click on the gear to the right of Average Bit Rate. Move the slider to the left and note how the "allows up to" message changes. It's not exact, so give yourself a decent cushion.

Do some quality tests. Open the Preview window and set in and out points to select a short section. Encode and adjust as necessay. Read the chapter on Frame Controls if you haven't already. Knowing your way around Frame controls is often the difference between a passable result and a great result.

Good luck.

Russ

Compressor never finishes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.