Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change email address for autofill in Safari

Hi guys,

I really love the autofill feature in Safari but this is driving me nuts:

in my address book card I have several email addresses. For the autofill feature Safari always uses my podcast address labelled "other". I definitely don't want that to be my standard address but the one labelled "home". How on earth can I tell Safari/Address Book to use this one? I already tried changing the order - no success.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bado

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 8:33 AM

To change the email address that autofill uses while in Safari click on Safari>Preferences>AutoFill. Make sure the box is check next to "Using info from my Address Book card" then click edit to the right of that. Your Address Book card wil open and have check boxes to the right of you info. Check the items you want to use for autofill.

Hope this helps.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2012 8:33 AM in response to Bado

To change the email address that autofill uses while in Safari click on Safari>Preferences>AutoFill. Make sure the box is check next to "Using info from my Address Book card" then click edit to the right of that. Your Address Book card wil open and have check boxes to the right of you info. Check the items you want to use for autofill.

Hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2013 3:34 AM in response to Bado

I had the same problems as above, info in autofill was being pulled from the wrong card. Could not change the card in contacts or on the mac.

It seems the solution is a mix of what WTBowman and Joe Gramm above mentioned.

First, log in to www.icloud.com..

*open contacts,

*choose the card you want to be your contact card

* click on settings from the bottom left of the screen and choose "Make This My Card"

On your mac, open contacts and order the info (phones, emails, addresses) in the order you want it to be pulled with. The first item will be the one autofill will use to complete your forms.

I am using Mavericks 10.9

Jul 2, 2015 10:17 AM in response to wtbowman

For what it's worth, I had this problem. I made sure everything was set up just as wtbowman suggested in Address Book, with the desired email address being the only one checked. Despite that it was still autofilling my work one, which I never use.

So I unchecked the only email address I wanted to use (so that none of them is checked) and Safari autofills the desired one now! For what it's worth, my main one is indeed the top entry on my email addresses.

Hope this helps somebody else!

Nov 13, 2015 3:42 PM in response to SandraLowe

Well, I've done all that and, on re-trying to log in to my (eg, Talktalk) account, I type in the first 3 letters of my log-in email and AGAIN the auto suggestion tag that appears underneath in blue is WRONG and I have to deselect it EVERY time. INFURIATING!!!

The suggested alternative isn't even listed in my various email addresses; it has obviously been picked up from when I must have, at some stage in the past, incorrectly entered my email address. I have no idea how to rid myself of this cursed annoyance. (I can't think it would make any difference but I am actually on OSX 10.11.1)

Interesting - have just noticed that if I type in an incorrect spelling in this forum I get the same standard spell check correction; so I typed in the said email address as above and - you guessed it, I get the same incorrect alternative suggestion in blue underneath the text - maybe it's a standard Spellcheck issue and not a 'Contact' issue???? If so how does one correct that?

Jun 8, 2016 10:45 AM in response to Bado

Different year, same annoying UX.

I am having the same exact problem in mid-2016. My HOME or WORK tagged emails are not used. One of the OTHERs, in particular one I NEVER use to send emails from so it is not even in 'Recently Used' cache anywhere, keeps getting chosen. There are no Checkmarks in front of items to pick when following advice given from the past above.

Imran

Change email address for autofill in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.