Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete 802.1x Profile(s) on en0 on Lion

I cant for the life of me figure out how to DELETE an (or all) existing profiles in Network Settings / Advanced 802.1x / Profiles.

There is NO +/- to remove or add.

I have tried searching for "802." in the Keychain Access program but I cant find it...

It keeps trying to authenticate to our RSA server and getting LOCKED out for bad attempts....

I also opened a Terminal window and typed:

root@[~]: /usr/bin/profiles -D

Are you sure you want to delete all configuration profiles? [y/n]:yes

root@[~]:

Rebooted and the profiles are STILL there... pls help!

Fred

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 12:21 PM

17 replies

Sep 12, 2011 10:02 AM in response to Fred Nix

I have no direct experience with 802.11x on a Mac, so my advice was based on speculation. That said, there are a number of files in that folder that might contain that profile information, as well as at least one folder within that folder. My recommendation was that you move the entire SystemConfiguration folder out of its normal location, then reboot. You could move the folder to the Desktop. Then if the problem still existed, you could delete the newly-created folder and move the old one back into its original location.

By the way, the grep command can read a file, so instead of these commands

more preferences.plist | grep "802"

you could have run this command

grep "802" preferences.plist

I ran this command

grep 802 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/*

and saw hits for NetworkInterfaces.plist and com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

Jan 23, 2012 11:46 AM in response to Fred Nix

Hi,

FIXED and follow up to previous posts.

I went into the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and visulaized the .plist files. You can rule out right away which ones do not have anything to do with networking preferences. I deleted the following:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist

networkInterfaces.plist

rebooted and the 802.1x profile was gone. Also the networks I connected to previously were gone, but that is okay!

In response to David, who said there was an easier way going to profiles in system preferences, I appreciate the suggestion and checked there, but there were no profiles listed. perhaps it is because the 802.1x profile on my mac was added using a configuration file initiall;y??? , not manually...

Aug 14, 2012 12:24 AM in response to David meme

Hi David,

This was EXTREMELY helpful for those of us who are not experienced with running commands and all that jazz--THANKS!!!

All I had to do was go to Profiles in System Preferences like and delete the offending profile. NOTE: if this is the only profile you have on your system, deleting it will remove the Profiles icon in your System Preferences window.

Thanks again!

Becca

Jul 30, 2013 7:39 AM in response to StoneyRok

All I had to do was move com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist to com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist.old and that seemed to do the trick (but I had also fiddled with the com.apple.network.identification.plist file). It would be useful for the next person trying this, to simply move (or delete) com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist, reboot and see if that does the trick.

Anyway, another happy user - thanks again.

Delete 802.1x Profile(s) on en0 on Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.