Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You can't open the application NotificationExec because PowerPC applications are no longer supported

I have Lion OS X 10.7 on my MacBook Pro 15'' and I've tried to install an application for an external Maxtor hard drive.

But it seems to be compatable only with previous Operating Systems because now every 5 seconds I get the popup
"You can't open the application NotificationExec because PowerPC applications are no longer supported".

I have deleted all the applications of the external hard drive from the Applications folder, and from the trash as well.
But it doesn't help because the message is continuing to pop-up.

Please help me somehow.

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 1:47 PM

21 replies

Sep 9, 2011 1:55 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you, I understood this after reading some forums. I admit that I am new with Mac and many things are still a question mark for me.
At this point I do not wish to use this external hard drive with the macbook (it is not THAT necessary for me).
What I wish is to uninstall everything belonging to the external hard drive in order to calm down this popping (annoying) message. I thought that removing the application from the Application folder would solve out the problem, but it doesn't.

How can I stop this message from popping out? Is there SOMETHING SOMEWHERE that hasn't been uninstalled??

Thank you for your help, I do really need it.

Sep 10, 2011 6:11 AM in response to nastassja10

I had already formatted the external Maxtor external hard drive but it didn't help because the problem came when after formatting I tried to install an application (belonging to Maxtor) to the MacBook. The application was meant for an operating system previous to Lion.

The solution is to remove everything belonging to Maxtor from your Mac.

I deleted the Maxtor application from the Applications folder, but it wasn't enough. After struggling in google I found this solution and it worked!

HERE IS THE SOLUTION:

First remove all the Maxtor applications you've installed from the Applications folder (just trash them and empty the trash).

Then go to Finder and from Macintosh HD -> Library -> Driver Support -> DELETE THE MAXTOR APPSYOU FIND IN THIS FOLDER AND EMPTY THE TRASH !

But the Library folder is hidden, so if you don't know how to find it (I don't remember exactly because I did it at 1 am at night in the desperation after looking for the solutions in many forums for hours) you can go to Helpand write library, then from All Help -> what is the Library folder? and there it is explained!

Now you are free!!! 😁

Dec 23, 2011 12:46 AM in response to nastassja10

Hi Jamdoon

I ended up calling Apple support and we sorted it out in about 3 minutes. Your issue sounds the same as mine. There is actually two Library folders. You need to find the folder on the Macintosh HD. I was looking in the other library folder. As soon as you find that folder you will see the "Driver Support" folder and all of the maxtor junk.

Delete the lot of it and the pop up is gone.

All the best.

Apr 13, 2012 3:55 PM in response to nastassja10

I have been having fits for over an hour trying to find the solution to this extremely frustrating popup

"You can't open the application NotificationExec because PowerPC applications are no longer supported" and finally landed on this web page and the exact help I needed. I love my MAC and have used it for years. This was the first time I was ready to toss the MacBook Pro out the window. THANK YOU for the help that solved the problem. Now I am going to throw the Maxtor OneTouch out the window!

You can't open the application NotificationExec because PowerPC applications are no longer supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.