Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AFP shares continue to show up in workgroup manager as home directories

I am running Workgroup Manager and had addded some AFP shares via the Server Admin panel. These shares showed up as choices for Home Directories in my Workgroup Manager when adding accounts. I removed and unshared all the shares, but the shares continue to show up as home directory options in Workgroup manager.

I don't know where Workgroup Manager is getting this stale info from, and would like to clear out the no longer valid shares. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff Turmelle

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), OSX Server

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 3:03 PM

7 replies

Sep 10, 2011 7:58 AM in response to jpt11

There are a few things to check.

First, make sure none of your users have one of the share points in question selected in WGM. As long as one user has a share point selected, it will remain available as a choice in WGM.

Second, check your share point's settings. Is "Enable Automount" checked in Server Admin? If so, what is listed under "Use for"?

Sep 10, 2011 8:24 AM in response to John.Kitzmiller

Thanks for the reply John,

All the shares are unmounted and the only place they remain showing up is in the Workgroup Manager. I've rebooted and removed the entries / /Network/Servers/.../nfs_reshares/... as well. I assume that there's a file somewhere that WorkgroupManager uses, and whatever process is supposed to happen when you remove a share didn't work when I removed them from the Server Admin File Sharing Panel.

Jeff

Sep 12, 2011 5:12 AM in response to jpt11

jpt11 wrote:

Yes, I've unshared them, and since I was in the process of just setting up the services, I actually deleted the users I had configured, so I can confirm that nobody is using the shares.

A possible brute force method you could consider is -

• In Workgroup Manager turn on show All Records and Inspector Tab
  • On the left click on the Inspector Tab (a picture of a target)
  • From the drop-down menu select 'Mounts'
  • This will list all mounts defined in Open Directory i.e. automounts for home directories
  • You can then select the unwanted one and delete it

Sep 12, 2011 7:21 AM in response to jpt11

Thank you John and John for your help.

It turns out they were cached somehow because when I came in this morning, the shares were no longer showing up. Even though I had rebooted the machine (2x) on Friday the mountpoints were still there, but just letting the machine run over the weekend removed the entries.

Thanks again,

Jeff

AFP shares continue to show up in workgroup manager as home directories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.