Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Time Machine sparsebundle to new backup drive

Hi all,

This may be a bit of a unique situation, but hopefully I can get some guidance...

I've been backing up two different computers using Time Machine, with the backups stored on a hard drive attached to a third computer (an old MacBook) that's set up as a server. So the backup drive has had two different sparsebundle files, one for each computer.

That drive filled up, so I've recently purchased a larger one. To keep things a little cleaner and to keep the larger computer's backup from crowding out the other one, I've decided to put the TM backups in two separate partitions on the new drive. I set up the partitions in what is hopefully the correct way based on some other discussions I've read (Mac OS-Extended, case sensitive, journaled; partition map scheme: GUID Partition Table).

However, I couldn't find any tips on how best to transfer over the old TM sparsebundles to keep using them on the new drive. SuperDuper probably wouldn't work since I only want to copy one of the sparsebundles into each of the partitions, not duplicate the existing drive.

So I'm hoping I can just copy them over manually using the Finder (that's what I'm doing now — and will be for the next 5 hours or so). Once it's done I'm planning to point the TM Preferences at the new partition and hope that it recognizes the existing backup. (If that fails, I'll mount the sparsebundle first.)

In the meantime, I just wanted to confirm that this is the correct way to go, and see if there are any other factors I need to take into consideration.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 3:20 PM

Hi max,

See this Excellent Link by Pondini on TM

http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/Index.html

6 replies

Moving Time Machine sparsebundle to new backup drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.