Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean and fix up Macintosh 128k?

Hello,

I recently received an original Macintosh 128k (M0001), and would like to use it. I have the ImageWriter, mouse, keyboard, and disks. The mouse and keyboard have been cleaned, but I was wondering how/where I can get the Macintosh and printer cleaned. Anything else? I have tried booting up the computer (without disks), and luckily, no Sad Mac appeared!

So,is there anyone out there who is good with classic Macs?

Thanks!

Macintosh 128k-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 4:45 PM

6 replies

Sep 11, 2011 11:47 AM in response to lupunus

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but with older computers there can be a long list of potential problems. I don't know if your model uses a battery, but many models over the past few decades have a small internal battery which stores startup information (PRAM) and needs replacing every few years. Even if you are content to set the date each time, a bad battery can actually actively create startup problems. Then too I have heard of capacitors going bad in old models. Anything rubber in the printer may have dried out or be glazed. Floppy disks can just go bad over time as they oxidize, the plastic breaks down, etc, even if you aren't using them.

Frankly, I'd just approach the problems as they occur.

Sep 11, 2011 11:58 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks. The printer just needs to be lubricated on a part, so that's working pretty well. I'm just wondering about the Mac because it has a "sizzling" sound coming from around the bottom left side. The sound has just recently turned up a few days ago. Anyone have an idea of what it could be? Floppy drive mechanism is working, just don't know if it can read anything... Took out the battery, it was really corroded, will have clean the contacts. Can't wait to get it fully working!

William

Sep 15, 2011 7:50 AM in response to williammck

The original 128k Mac is very valuable, they're worth hundreds even in average condition. This one sold for almost $3000.

The sizzling sound may be arcing due to a failing high voltage (flyback) transformer. Charge attracts dust, which tends to be slightly conductive, which causes current to leak around the flyback and accelerate its demise. Simply cleaning all the black dust off the conductors may fix it, but when the internal winding insulation degrades it will eventually fail. Fortunately parts are readily available and not terribly expensive. When the flyback transformer fails it's easiest to simply replace the entire "analog / power" board, but the transformers are available too. CRTs themselves last practically forever - burn-in is the issue with them.

Classic Macs are easy to fix, but don't crack the case unless you are familiar with electronics and especially the high voltages used for CRTs. Apple used bleeder resistors but if it failed open you'd have no way of knowing.

I have not had a single problem with Imagewriter printers. No rubber degradation whatsoever. Vacuum out the dust once in a while and drop a very tiny bit of light machine oil on the carriage slide if it becomes dry. If it becomes dry linear scratches will appear. Avoid using alcohol on the platen. The print heads themselves will eventually wear out but they're easily replaced too. Replace the ribbons before they become too worn or you will accelerate the print head's demise also.

I routinely use a 24 year old Imagewriter II with my OS X Lion iMac. It's never needed any attention. They're bulletproof.

How to clean and fix up Macintosh 128k?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.