Skip navigation

Please help me with matte solid colors!

1424 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2011 9:18 AM by LXjordanXL RSS
LXjordanXL Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 9, 2011 6:59 PM

I'm having an issue with Final Cut Pro 7: I'm trying to put a solid matte color over a video. This work succesfully but when I try to adjust the opacity or crop it top to bottom, my preview screen begins freaking out! I took a screen shot of this and it would be amazing if someone could help me out with this problem:

http://i.imgur.com/WEdIq.png

Thank you guys!!

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Meg The Dog Level 6 Level 6 (9,385 points)
    Sep 9, 2011 7:23 PM (in response to LXjordanXL)

Some basic trouble shooting:

Completely shut down and restart your computer. Launch FCP, if the problem persists, make a new sequence and see it also occurs in a new sequence. If the new sequence works correctly, then you have a corrupt sequence.

If the problem occurs in the new sequence after the restart, quit FCP and trash your preferences by downloading Preference Manager (free) from Digital Rebellion:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

trash your preferences, restart the computer, re-launch FCP and see if the problem persists.

What computer are you using?

MtD

Sep 9, 2011 8:04 PM (in response to LXjordanXL)

Click on one of your source clips  that this is happening to in the FCP browser, and when it is selected, type Command + 9 to see the item properties for the clip. Either take a screen shot and post it here or report what the item properties are for the souirce clip.

Next, click anywhere on the timeline and type Command + 0 {zero} to see your Sequence Settings. Either take a screen shot and post it here or report what the Sequence settings are.

Are you using any still images in your sequence? If so, are they all RGB / 8 bits channel?

Thanks

MtD

Sep 9, 2011 8:40 PM (in response to LXjordanXL)

How did your source clips get transcoded to ProRes 4444? That is way overkill, and that codec is designed to carry a matte channel for very high end production purposes. It does not add any quality to your source files, it just makes the file sizes very, very large and cumbersome - really taxing your computer and drives.

Do you have the original camera files? If so, try converting the clips to Pro Res 422 or Pro Res LT and see if you have the same problems. If you don't have the original files, take one of your Pro Res 4444 clips and use Compressor to convert it to standard Pro Res or Pro Res LT and see if the problem persists.

MtD

Sep 9, 2011 9:18 PM (in response to LXjordanXL)

You must be using some kind of plug in as FCP does not ingest H.264 directly (which is what you camera records in, I believe). Are you using Log and Transfer?

Check for preferences in your ingestion process that lets you set some more reasonable codec such as Pro Res 422 or Pro Res LT.

I know there is a Canon plug -in available, are you using that? I use Magic Bullet Grinder to ingest DSLR footage, so am not familiar with the Canon plug in.

Maybe someone will read your post and be able to help you in more detail.

MtD

Sep 9, 2011 11:16 PM (in response to LXjordanXL)

It means you have to find the right method to transcode your footage. Once it transcoded properly, you should be OK. See if this helps:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/eos_movie_pulgin_article. shtml

MtD

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.