Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reduce image file size in spreadsheet

I have created a spreadsheet that contains cells with small amounts of text, and images that I brought in from the Media Browser from iPhoto. This has caused the file size to become HUGE, on the order of 234 MB. Saving it as a pdf only reduces it to 220 MB.

I have tried the Format>Image>Reduce Image File Size, as well as File>Reduce File Size, but in both cases, those options are grayed out.

What am I doing wrong? All I really want is thumbnail versions of my image files.

I don't understand what the Reduce Image File Size command would be used for, if it doesn't work for this?

MacPro, iMac, MBPro 2.66 Intel Core i7, MackBook 2 G2, various G5's, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 1 TB Time Capsule (early 2009) & Airport Express

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 6:43 AM

9 replies

Sep 10, 2011 7:50 AM in response to Glen Grayson

When you insert a picture in a cell, it's used as a background.

To do that, the app keep it in a size allowing it to accomodate the larger cell size permitted.

If you want to get small images matching the cell size which you use, you must reduce the picture by yourself before inserting it. For instance, cells are often 72 * 16 pixels ones so you may reduce your pictures so that thir width become 72 pixels.

Of course, if the user enlarge the cell, the picture will become highly pixelated.

Look at this example.

User uploaded file

In B4 is the original : 202 x 177 pixels

In C3 is the reduced one : 72 x 63

in B2 is the reduced one in a 202 x 177 pixels cell. It's awfully pixelized

We must arbitrate between size and quality.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 10 septembre 2011 16:50:24

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Sep 11, 2011 6:40 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Yvan, once again, your answer preerfectly explains my situation. What I wound up doing, since I was already through with this three page spreadsheet, was to save it as a pdf file, which I then saved as a "pdf to iPhoto" in the Print dialog box. From iPhoto, I save the three pages as jpg files, coiming in around 340 KB each, vs the 235 MB for the Numbers document.

Next time I do this in Numbers, I will follow your advice. Interesting that in Pages, you can reduce the file size of media files added to a document rather easily from within the document, to reduce the file size.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of file can be reduced in size in a Numbers document, using the File>Reduce Image File Size command?

Sep 12, 2011 1:31 AM in response to Glen Grayson

Hello

In Pages and in Numbers, the objects are :

main text layer (only in Pages WP documents)

charts

images

lines

shapes

tables

text boxes

I didn't made tests but I guess that only "images" are treated by the "Reduce Image File Size" feature.

Pictures inserted in tables aren't.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 12 septembre 2011 10:30:53

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Sep 12, 2011 5:27 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

It doesn't seem to matter whether they are added in a spreadsheet cell, or outside of the spreadsheet. I just added an iPhoto image outside of the spreadsheet, and with that image selected, the rdeuce image size tool was still grayed out.

I submitted this as a bug report to Apple, since this doesn't seem to have the functionality that a similar command has in Pages.

Sep 12, 2011 5:38 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

I just did a test with a new numbers document. I started with an empty spreadsheet, added an image outside the spreadsheet. Then I was able to reduce the file size. Then I copied the image and pasted it into a cell, and it remained a small file size.

Then, I added another image directly to a cell, and once I did that, the command stopped working.

So maybe once you have images added directly to cells, the command won't work any longer in that document?

So it would seem that you must add the images you want to use outside of the cell first, and reduce their file sizes, before dropping them into the spreadsheet cells. A bit of a pain- maybe Apple will adress this.

Apr 2, 2016 11:29 PM in response to Glen Grayson

I found an easier way to reduce the file size. this came after spending a couple of months building a spreadsheet full of pictures. I was not ready to go back and reduce the size of every single picture individually and then put them back in.

The solution provided in the earlier posts is not a fix. More like a bad process to what should be a built in process with in the app.

the problem lies with now numbers uses the pictures. the pictures are not just saved into the spreadsheet, The pictures are literally attached so the spreadsheet. So if you put in a 10 Mb pic, your file size increases by the same amount no matter the size.

So how do you fix it?

disclaimer: My files are all iCloud.

1. In Finder go to the file you need to reduce the size on.

2. Secondary click (right click) the file you want to reduce and select "Show Package Contents"

User uploaded file

3. In the package contents, Select the Data Folder. The data folder contains all the attachments to the numbers file including all the pictures.

4. Select all the pictures you want to reduce the size on and secondary click (right click) Preview

User uploaded file

5. In preview, select all the files using Command A

6. Select the Tools Menu then Adjust Size

User uploaded file

7. Now you can select your picture size or set a custom size for all the pictures. At the bottom you will see the reduced size of all the files that in turn will reduce the size of your numbers file.

User uploaded file

Hope this helps others. I think that numbers has some really great features missing from Windows excel and this file size restriction almost made me switch back. I'm glad I stuck it out and kept looking for another option.

How to reduce image file size in spreadsheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.