Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Effects done in Motion... Editing in FCP7... Color Correction in Color...

I Was a Mermaid and Now I'm a Pop Star

Edited and finished in Final Cut Pro 7.

All the green screen keying, masking, and tracking done in Motion. I thought I might break out Shake for this, but was able to get everything I wanted out of Motion 4.

The concert background - flashing lights - was created with a particle generator in Motion.

Everything was run through Color for final color correction.

And finally, the YouTube preset in Compressor before upload.

Happy to answer any questions you might have...

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 12:45 PM

14 replies

Sep 13, 2011 12:28 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

Nice quirky video that tends to grow on one after repeated viewings.

Trouble is, I can't get that darn tune out of my head!

Will you be using FCP X and Motion 5 for the sequel?

It should be a quicker workflow as you won't need to export to Color !

Thank you Ian - I don't think I could have done the color correction in FCX... maybe - but I generally get better results out of Color. And I would have been slowed down with the effects since you can't roundtrip to Motion in FCX...

Sep 13, 2011 12:34 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

Reinforces the truism that there's no substitute for imagination…

Was the keying done with the stock Primatte keyer in Motion4? Or a plug-in?

Russ

Hey Russ,

Yes, I used the stock Primatte keyer in Motion 4. But I also did some Light Wrap and other tricks... I thought initially I'd do temp keys in Motion, then send to Shake for final, but I ended up getting everything I needed out of Motion.

Sep 13, 2011 12:52 AM in response to Patrick Sheffield

Patrick Sheffield wrote:

Ian R. Brown wrote:

Incidentally, the sequel I alluded to was the one where after everything goes swimmingly they suffer a reversal of fortune.

She loses her plaice in the pop scene and Poseidon is almost battered to death by the irate proprietor of a fish and chip shop.

I dunno - something about that plot sounds fishy!

You know, Ian - I think I know what's wrong - that plot would flounder, it has no sole, so I won't blubber if they don't make it - but I won't carp about it anymore...

Sep 13, 2011 12:57 AM in response to Patrick Sheffield

"Will you be using FCP X and Motion 5 for the sequel?"

Just stirring things as I'm sure you realised.

I have a feeling that something like FCP X may be the future but currently, as everyone knows, it is very much a flawed masterpiece.

I don't do anything nearly as complex as your work yet I constantly find myself returning to FCP 7 or even FCE 4 to get things done.

Did you have any input in the scripting/shooting or were you just commisioned with the task of editing?

If the latter, were you told exactly what was expected or given a free hand to follow your own ideas?

Sep 13, 2011 11:41 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

...snip...

Did you have any input in the scripting/shooting or were you just commisioned with the task of editing?

If the latter, were you told exactly what was expected or given a free hand to follow your own ideas?

After I saw her F*ck Me, Ray Bradbury video, I contacted Rachel and said I'd love to work with her. We got along and agreed to work together on a project.

She sent me the script and the footage after they'd shot it and I put it together based on the script and the material and how I thought it should play out.

Once I got it in shape, I posted something for her, got feedback, made changes, repeat a few times. When we were close, we sat down together and edited for a few hours. Basically Rachel is comedian/actor/writer and considers her videos to be comedy skits set to music, so we worked together to refine timing and placement of some of the jokes, etc.

So, I guess to answer your question, while I did not affect the script or shooting, editorial was a collaboration...

Patrick

P.S. re the use of Blubber - hey - mermaids have at least a couple of mammalian characteristics...

Sep 13, 2011 12:20 PM in response to Patrick Sheffield

Of course, I should have realised -- a pair of arms instead of fins.

Incidentally, I really wanted to continue the fishy dialogue but my mind was a complete blank until I remembered Google and discovered this

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fish_Puns

I was tempted to pass a few off as my own, but was too honest to do it.

Thanks for the info on how the video was created. All too often we just see the finished item and are left with questions about the creative processes involved.

Sep 14, 2011 12:05 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Yeah - that's what I was thinking - Rachel has a lovely pair of... arms... yeah - arms.

I suppose it's best if we left the piscine wordplay behind... I believe we've punished our readers enough...

And hey - if anyone out there would like to follow the video link and give a thumbs up to my comment about "Auto Tuna" - I'd love to get into the top two comments and displace the silly question about why Rachel used auto-tune...

Patrick

Effects done in Motion... Editing in FCP7... Color Correction in Color...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.