Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture RAW questions

So, I just took a peek at my system and there is only 2GB of pictures and 150 of "other". I'm thinking that the "other" are my RAW files (since I only started shooting RAW on a regular basis 6 months ago). My macbook pro has been lagging a bit lately and I have a feeling these RAW files may have somehting to do with it.

My first question is where can I find these RAW files. I've seen it before, but forget how to navigate to it.

My second question is once I find these files, would it be safe to back them all up on an external, and then delete them from my macbooks' harddrive? Or is that just stupid?

Thanks.

Macbook Pro

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 12:48 PM

5 replies

Sep 10, 2011 12:53 PM in response to Mr. D90

Running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

If Managed, they're in the Aperture Library package. Referenced? They are wherever you put them.

You can relocate the masters using the Relocate command in the File menu.

, would it be safe to back them all up on an external, and then delete them from my macbooks' harddrive?

No that would not be safe. For a start if you copy them to external and then delete them from the internal you have no back up. A Back up is a copy on another disk, at least.

Regards

TD

Sep 10, 2011 1:36 PM in response to Mr. D90

1. How big and how full is your system drive? In Finder, select your drive and run "File→Get Info". Capacity and Available space are listed in the "General" section at the top of the Info window.

2. How big is your Aperture Library? In Finder, select your Library file and run "File→Get Info". The size will be reported at the top right of the Info window. You may have to wait a couple of minutes for Finder to calculate the size.

3. Are your Images' Masters Managed or Referenced (or a mix)? Referenced Masters are badged (you can show Badges on any of the seven Metadata Overlays, as well as on the Metadata tab of the Inspector). If any are Referenced, determine where they are stored, find them, and find out how much storage space they occupy.

In general you should keep at least 15% of your system drive free (empty) in order to not crimp your system's performance. It is normal for Aperture users to run out of storage space on their system drives. The common solution to convert some or all of your Images' Masters from Managed (= stored inside the Aperture Library) to Referenced (= stored outside the Aperture Library, usually on a different drive). Aperture provides tools to move your Masters wherever you would like them. NB: Referenced Masters are not backed up by Aperture's Vault feature, and are not backed up automatically when you back up your Library. Therefore you must add to your backup protocol something that includes backing up your Referenced Masters.

There are many many reasons for slowing performance. Lack of free space on your system drive is a common one, but you should not rule out others without checking. It is also advised to run Software Update to make sure your OS and other programs are completely up-to-date.

Good Luck.

Sep 10, 2011 1:46 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

My capacity is 249.2 GB, I have 61.68 GB free

I feel really stupid, but I cannot find the file for Aperture package, with all the masters and RAW. Where exactly do I go to find this?

Sounds like (from what you're saying) what I want to do is make all of the RAW masters that I have, Referenced, then put them on another drive. Correct?

Sep 10, 2011 2:26 PM in response to Mr. D90

To find your Aperture Libraries, use Spotlight to search for "aplibrary" (the file extension of Aperture Libraries).

You have 25% free space on your system drive. It is unlikely that lack of free space is limiting your system performance. If you are experiencing degraded performance, you should do additional trouble-shooting.

It makes sense to me to move some or all of your Masters (independent of file format, such as RAW) to an external FW800 7200rpm drive (or faster) when you approach 15% free space on your system drive. Since you still have enough system drive space free, you have plenty of time to look into more of the pros and cons and the how tos. One thing to know off the bat: you should only move, rename, delete, and otherwise administer your Images' Masters from within Aperture using Aperture commands. Do not use Finder for any of those tasks.

Is your MBP slower than it was before with all apps, or only with Aperture?

Aperture RAW questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.