Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing & Internet Sharing Freezing Up Computer

A friend was messing with my computer, trying to get his computer to pick up internet from mine. I'm not sure what he did, I wasn't aware that he was doing this. Previously I'd used Internet Sharing a lot, leaving it on most of the day. It has always worked just fine. Now, whenever I go to system prefs and click on the Sharing icon, the sharing panel comes up but then freezes up the computer and I get the pinwheel. Usually I have to manually shut down the computer; occasionally I can force quit the system prefs but then the entire computer is sluggish and takes minutes to do anything at all, and I still have to end up shutting it off manually, it won't even shut down normally except once. Also, same thing with trying to print; the entire computer freezes up, I can't print anything. What could the issue be? I have OSX 10.5.8, MBP, 4g ram. Everything was working fine until yesterday, I can only assume my friend did something that messed things up. Anyone else had this problem, and hopefully have a solution? Thanks, I would really appreciate it, I rely on the sharing quite a bit.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 1:04 PM

3 replies

Sep 10, 2011 1:23 PM in response to J. Alessio

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these files to the Desktop.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.nat.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sharing.firewall.plist

(Then Trash the original of this one, as "moving" it only copies it.)

Then reboot once more.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

EDIT: added a couple of things.

Sep 10, 2011 3:35 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi there, thanks for the detailed response! Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work. First of all, when I go to /Library/Preferences/ the com.apple.sharing.firewall.plist file simply isn't there. Is that a problem? hehe Secondly, I did the whole thing excepting the aforementioned file that isn't there, and the problems continue. Could the missing file be the key, or is there another solution? Thanks again for your time and help!

Printing & Internet Sharing Freezing Up Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.