Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme ethernet not working

I have just gottem a A1354 Airport Extreme and the wifi is working exceptionally(much faster than before), but i have three things plugged into the 3 ethernet ports and none of them are getting internet. I have one going to a windows xp pc and the other going to another modem in the garage that has its own network and everything, the last one is an xbox 360 but i havent tried that one and i suppose it works.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 21.5 inch. October 2009 version

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 4:03 PM

8 replies

Sep 10, 2011 4:21 PM in response to Alex403

Ok, then by "modem," I assume that you mean "router" instead. Regardless, I would recommend first disconnecting this device from the AEBSn and just have the PC connected by Ethernet to it. So, the AEBSn will now only have two wired connections: one to the Comcast modem and the other to the PC.

Double-check to see if the PC still cannot get Internet access in this configuration. Please post back your results.

Sep 10, 2011 5:58 PM in response to Tesserax

by second subnet do you mean like a second network? Because i am. I want to have Network a in the house with the Extreme and Network b in the garage with the router. And how exactly should the connections be from the Extreme to the router because right now i cant even connect to the router in the garage to change the settings. Thanks a lot i would be totally lost without your help.

Sep 10, 2011 7:00 PM in response to Alex403

by second subnet do you mean like a second network? Because i am. I want to have Network a in the house with the Extreme and Network b in the garage with the router.

Yes, by a second subnet I do mean a second network. In your configuration, you will have two routers in series. If both have NAT & DHCP enabled, network clients connected to either can still access the Internet, but they won't be able to access clients on the other network.

And how exactly should the connections be from the Extreme to the router because right now i cant even connect to the router in the garage to change the settings.

Is the other router another AirPort or some other manufacturer's product? Regardless, if it will have NAT enabled, then you want an Ethernet cable going from one of the available LAN ports on the AEBSn to the WAN (or Internet) port on this other router. This other router would also be getting a Private IP address to its WAN port that is being provided by the AEBSn and NOT a Public IP address from the ISP.

When you have multiple routers downstream, you will want them to have static IP addresses so that they can always be "found." Again, since this other router will be downstream of the AEBSn, you will want to set its static IP to be just outside of the range of the AEBSn's DHCP server. The AEBSn's default range is: 10.0.1.2 - 10.0.1.200 ... so setting the IP address of this other router to 10.0.1.201 should be fine.

Sep 11, 2011 6:05 PM in response to Tesserax

Alright well i was fiddling with it a lot yesterday and eventually turned everything off, planning on working on it and using the idea you said above to fix it but when i woke up i turned it on and everything somehow worked. i didnt believe it at first but i tried every single thing including the router in the garage and it is all working great. I must have done something right yesterday. Thanks so much for your help!

Airport Extreme ethernet not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.