Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to make a lion boot disc from a 2011 mac?

I bought an i7 MacBook Air a couple of months ago when they were released and I was wondering how I could possibly make an OS X Lion Boot Disc despite the fact that Lion was already preinstalled on my machine... All the tutorials I have searched for are for people who have downloaded it from the Mac App store and I don't want to pay another $30 just to put the OS on a thumb drive. Any help out there? Thanks!!!

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 5:56 PM

Well, how about a bootable clone - that would create a complete copy of your entire system which can boot from if necessary. All you need is an external hard drive and download either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (I use both of them) - format the HD and launch one of the two apps. When done, make sure it's bootable by testing it. Then update your clone whenever necessary so you'll have an up to date copy of your system.

In an emergency, simply attach the external, hit Option while booting up, select the external and boot from it - from there you can keep working, erase your internal (if necessary) and clone your system back.....

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2011 5:56 PM in response to jsskateboarder

Well, how about a bootable clone - that would create a complete copy of your entire system which can boot from if necessary. All you need is an external hard drive and download either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (I use both of them) - format the HD and launch one of the two apps. When done, make sure it's bootable by testing it. Then update your clone whenever necessary so you'll have an up to date copy of your system.

In an emergency, simply attach the external, hit Option while booting up, select the external and boot from it - from there you can keep working, erase your internal (if necessary) and clone your system back.....

how to make a lion boot disc from a 2011 mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.