Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder needs to have its options changed after restart

Hello,

Several people here have mentioned the problem with Finder windows only being viewable for a second or two when swapping spaces/screens and otherwise being hidden. The fix is to Option-click on the Finder icon in the Dock, select Options and select Assign to Desktop -> None. On my MBP, the Finder is now set to None.

The problem I am having is that after a restart, Finder windows will again do the "now you see me, now you don't" thing until I go into Finder's options in the Dock, change Assign to Desktop to All Desktops and then go back in to the options and change Assign to Desktop to None again.

How can I get the settting under which Finder windows are assigned to no desktops to be persistent through restarts?

Cheers,

hussar

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iPad WiFi (32GB); several iPods

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 4:29 AM

9 replies

Sep 11, 2011 5:44 AM in response to Colin Robinson

Nope, that didn't get it. It appears to have just reset my Finder appearance settings. It had no effect on the visibility of the Finder window after a restart. I am assuming now that we can probably rule this out as a Finder settings problem.

I think this might have something to do with forward compatability with old Spaces settings. Maybe the Finder doesn't like that other applications are assigned to specific desktops. I'm going to try setting all my other applications' desktop choices to None and see if that has any effect.

Sep 15, 2011 11:42 PM in response to softwater

I am concerned that it won't fix the problem and that something else will go wrong during the reinstallation. If I had a DVD and a product code, I'd probably do it, but doing it over the network and having to provide authentication is also off-putting. I'll just learn to live with it, or maybe it will get fixed in a update sometime.

Finder needs to have its options changed after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.