Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine-not enough space

I started getting messages that there was not enough space on the external hard disk I use for Time Machine. I tried to trash older files but I was having difficulty, so I used Disk Utility and erased the disk. I pressed back up and I now get a message "Preparing". I guess this will take awhile, but will be functional again? I've used Time Machine for three years and never got the message "not enough space" before. Isn't it supposed to delete oldest backup to give space for the newest one? Is there a preference I need to check?

Thanks,

Stu

iMac 20 in., Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 5:45 AM

10 replies

Sep 11, 2011 2:56 PM in response to Stuart Goldberg

When I am backing up I get a "Backup Failed". It has backed up as much as 6-8 GB of 50GB to be backed up. I have rebooted, doesn't seem to change anything. When I erased I did it as Mac OS (journeled). Any Suggestions? Does reinstalling Time Machine sound like something I should do (I guess off my original disk/custom/time machine)? Everytime I have tried I have used Backup Now rather than t

Dec 19, 2014 12:12 PM in response to vcfss

Check and make sure that it's not trying to backup an external, mounted drive, CD, or DVD. I believe external drives are excluded by default, but I remember this happening to someone else.

Also, I keep a folder on my desktop called "Don't Backup" where I put all kinds of large, temporary files that I don't need backed up so I've added this folder to the list of items to be excluded. It saves time and disk space.

Apr 5, 2015 6:34 PM in response to TonyInSF

This was also happening to me.

The issue was, as per TonyInSF, that it was trying to back up an external disk. All disks were selected by default already, but one of them (A) used to be a back up disk, and must not have automatically been added to the exclusion list when I made the change from backing up to disk A to disk B.

Thanks!

Time Machine-not enough space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.