Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cgpdftoraster process overwhelms processor

I'm running an iBook G4, 1.33 GHz with 1.5 GB RAM operating OSX 10.5.8. The problem occurs whenever I open the lid on the laptop which wakes the machine from sleep. Activity monitor shows the processor pegged at 100% and the culprit is the process named cgpdftoraster. The process can take several minutes before the CPU is released. I can kill the process and it immediately fixes the issue, but what a pain that is to have to go through every time I lift the lid on the computer. I understand this process has something to do with printing, but I have nothing in a queue, so I don't understand why a process related to printing is running at full speed for so long. Any ideas on what I can do to permanently end this trouble, or at least a more effective approach than launching activity monitor and forcing the process to quit? Is this a common issue? It has only been doing this for the last couple of months at the most, but I can't determine what has changed that brought about this problem.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 11:29 AM

If you wish I can request this post be moved to the Leopard forum since you posted it in Tiger. I did a web search and found a few references to this, mostly under Snow Leopard.

In the meantime, can you start up in a different user account and see if the same issue is there?

Have you installed any new printer drivers or any kind of software even peripherally related to printing (such as new graphics software)?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2011 11:29 AM in response to garygg

If you wish I can request this post be moved to the Leopard forum since you posted it in Tiger. I did a web search and found a few references to this, mostly under Snow Leopard.

In the meantime, can you start up in a different user account and see if the same issue is there?

Have you installed any new printer drivers or any kind of software even peripherally related to printing (such as new graphics software)?

Sep 11, 2011 9:20 PM in response to BDAqua

Okay, that's it. 😠 I am deleting NoScript as soon as I finish this post. It blocks something I need/want to see on about 98% of the sites I visit. I am constantly having to give them permission. Maybe it was workable 2 years ago before just about everybody required Java so you could even just do something basic on a page. I gave your second link page permission in NS and the rest of the download links appeared. The stupid thing was the most recent "download" was there even with NS activated so I just figured the rest were absent. I know NS is supposed to enhance security but the problem is, it isn't practical. You either let it do its thing in which case you can forget browsing the web, or you can become security neurotic and spend 30 minutes trying to do background confirmation on every website you visit. Frankly I am moderately security careful but I have yet, in a quarter century of using computers (20 of those Macs) had anything happen to me. This is becoming ridiculous.

Okay, rant discourse off 🙂. I already run Flashblock and it keeps the most obnoxious stuff at bay.

Sep 11, 2011 11:06 PM in response to BDAqua

Oh perfect! I reset the printing system and the problem went away. I think it may have had something to do with a printer I had attempted to access at school a while back and wasn't successful at the time. Anyway, I now just have my local inkjet and my laser printer in the printer list and I can open the lid on my laptop without cgpdftoraster hijacking my processor. Thanks for the help!

cgpdftoraster process overwhelms processor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.