Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Animations Missing

A few weeks ago I noticed that I no longer get the startup animations on my 27" 2009 iMac.

When I start up I am suppose to get the grey screen with the Apple Logo and spinning wheel, which should transition to a white screen with the Apple logo, then the Apple logo should slide up as the user avatar, password box and linen background fade in for the password screen.

What I get now is the grey screen with the Apple logo and spinning wheel, which abruptly jumps the the fully materialized linen password screen. All the pretty animations in between have vanished.

I have tried zapping the PRAM and resetting the SMC, turning off/on password screen, reinstalling Lion overtop, installing Lion on a separate partition, disk repair, and nothing gets my startup animations back. My MBP still gets all the fancy animations.

Is anyone else seeing this or have any great ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 27" late 09

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 1:03 PM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2012 3:49 PM in response to Elzlaik

I have the same issue except my MacBook Air 11 which originally had Snow Leopard was upgraded to Lion and the apple animation transition to the login screen is working fine, but my MacBook Air 13 which I got in mid 2011 which came preinstalled with Lion has never shown the apple animation transition to login screen. So I am confused why both systems having the same OS X version yet one displays the effect and the other does not. Does anyone at Apple know why? Maybe I'll stop by the Apple Store and show a tech dude this issue.

Jul 11, 2012 11:43 AM in response to David88888

David,

Thought I would give you a follow up. As per my post above, I had this problem on my 27" 2009 iMac and also had the problem on my new MacBook Pro with Retina Display I got two weeks ago. I am happy to say that after installing the Mountain Lion GM, the startup animations now run flawlessly on both computers. I hope ML cures yours as well.

Jul 11, 2012 12:52 PM in response to Elzlaik

Hello Elzlaik,

Thank you for letting the Apple Community know about this good news. I was anticipating that Apple would resolve the issue with Mountain Lion. They did work close with me on the issue for several weeks and although some of the engineers were trying to say that the animation was "missing" simply because my MacBook Air 13" was loading the screen too fast for my eyes to see it, I was very insulted, but later I spoke to another support rep who assured me that the missing animation problem at startup would be resolved. I plan to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Best regards,

David

Startup Animations Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.