Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6 Server, Deploy Studio for Macs, Fog for PCs

I've been banging my head on this problem for the last two days and am at the point that I'm going in circles. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

We have a mini server running 10.6.7. For a while now (8+ months) it has been our DHCP server and we have used deploy studio to deploy images to our Macs. So far, so good.

We decided to use deploy studio for PC deployment, and after some testing changed our minds and chose to switch our PC deployment to a fog server. This is where the trouble comes in.

I uninstalled deploy studio entirely, re-installed it without the PC components and re-configured it so it only responds to Macs. I also deleted all of its PC files.

When we try to network boot a PC, it appears they are STILL trying to connect to our mini server instead of the fog machine.

I've gone into the /etc/bootpd.plist and tried adding or modifying the following values in various configurations.

<key>dhcp_tftp_server_name</key>
<data>wKgBGQ==</data>

<key>dhcp_bootfile_name</key>
<string>pxelinux.0</string>

<key>dhcp_option_66</key>
<data>wKgBGQ==</data>

<key>dhcp_option_67</key>
<string>pxelinux.0</string>

wKgBGQ== is the encoded value of the fog server's IP address using "DHCP Option Code Utility". I also tried using it for the pxelinux.0 file option, with no change in the symptom or result.

As long as I use 1 of each of the options (i believe tftp_server_name is 66, and bootfile_name is 67), I can use IPNetMonitorX to query options 66 & 67 and I get the following:

Unrecognized DHCP option: 66 length: 4  value: 192.168.1.25 
 Unrecognized DHCP option: 67 length: 10  value:  7078656c 696e7578 2e30

If I put the 2nd line's value through a hex to ascii converter, I get pxelinux.0

No matter what, the PC's always give "TFTP Error - file not found".

Netboot and deploy studio still works for the Macs. I have no idea how to get the PCs to stop trying to connect to our mini server and look at the fog server instead.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 4:30 PM

1 reply

10.6 Server, Deploy Studio for Macs, Fog for PCs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.