Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule to AirPort Express via Ethernet

Hey all

Slight confusion/issue. Here's my setup situation...

1. I have a Time Capsule in my downstairs office. and I'm needing to get wireless access into an addition we made way at the back of the house, upstairs. During the build-out, I had ethernet run from my office into the new area.

2. My plan was to connect one end of the ethernet cable to the Time Capsule, and the other to the AirPort Express. This would then let me have wireless access in the home addition.

3. So, I've hooked everything up, but I'm not sure how to configure the AEX in the addition. Right now, it's just sitting at the defualt seetings.

Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how this should be setup? The TC and AEX are so far away, that he AEX can't extend the TC.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 7:43 PM

4 replies

Sep 11, 2011 10:10 PM in response to Maury Mccown

So that I am clear on things, your Time Capsule is now providing a wireless network and you want the AirPort Express to provide additonal wireless coverage for the same wireless network as the Time Capsule. Is that correct?

Or, is it your goal to set up a new wireless network with a separate log on for the area at the back of the house?

Sep 12, 2011 6:24 AM in response to Maury Mccown

Sure, you can check your settings for the AirPort Express using AirPort Utility - Manual Setup

Click the Base Station tab below the icons to make sure that you have named the device, established a device password, adjusted Time Zone settings, etc.

Click the Wireless tab next to the Base Station tab. Settings should look like this:

Wireless Mode = Create a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Same name as your Time Capsule wireless network

Check mark not needed next to "Allow this network to be extended"

Radio Mode = 802.11 n (b/g compatible) a good choice for most applications

Channel = Automatic

Wireless Security = Same setting as your TC wireless network

Wireless Password = Same password as your TC wireless

Confirm Password

Click the Internet icon, then click the Internet Connection tab

Connect Using = Ethernet

Connection Sharing = Off (Bridge Mode)

Update to save any changes

It is important to power down and restart the entire network so that everything will be in the right sequence. Power off everything in any order you wish. Wait a moment, then start the modem first and let it run for a moment by itself. Then your TC the same way, then the Express, then devices, etc.

You should be able to "walk" your laptop from the area near the TC to the area near the AirPort Express and it will automatically switch to the access point with the strongest signal.

Time Capsule to AirPort Express via Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.