Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video skips or lags when being imported into iMovie

System Specs: iMac; 3.4 GHz i7; 12GB Ram; OS X 10.6.8; iMovie '11

Other equipment: Sony Mini DV Casette Recorder; Canon XL2; Drobo

I've got my Sony Mini DV Recorder "daisy chained" to my Drobo which is connected to my iMac via FireWire. I'm trying to import video shot on my Canon XL2 into iMovie. However, the video is skipping and/or lagging (depending on one's perspective) during import and during playback within iMovie as well. As far as I can tell, the actual tape is not skipping. When I watch the video on the Sony Recorder's display the playback is "normal", no skip or lag to speak of.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 27'; 3.4GHz i7; 12GB RAM; Drobo S

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 11:35 PM

8 replies

Sep 12, 2011 6:32 AM in response to TWood20

I know everyone is going to mention this, but I'll bring it up now. Firewire daisy chained through another device is going to lead to some problems. This may or may not be why you're having difficulty. But if you can bypass the daisy chain or better yet directly attach the camera and disconnect ALL other firewire devices you might be able to isolate the variables causing the problem.

Firewire cameras can run into bus contention issues even though they are supposed to be a little more robust than what you are seeing. It might be worth directly attaching the camera and temporarily disconnecting the Drobo just to see what if anything is different on another import attempt.

Sep 12, 2011 10:10 PM in response to elikness

Thanks for the input. I tried connecting directly to my iMac, turned off the Drobo, and basically did what you suggested. There was no change. I don't know if it makes a difference, but with my iMac I have to use Fireware B, and when I used to upload to my old PowerPC MacPro I used Firewire A. I'm going to go back to my MacPro and see if I have a different result. I suppose if it works out, then it has something to do with Firewire A vs B and my Sony Cassette Recorder?

Sep 13, 2011 7:36 AM in response to TWood20

Another bit of troubleshooting to try is based on what you listed in the first posting is the XL-2 camera itself. Have you ever had issues playing back tapes from the camera in your Sony MiniDV cassette player? If it's a tape issue maybe try a different tape and see if it is consistently laggy with other tapes. Then possibly pull out the XL-2 hookup to the 4-pin jack on the camera and see what kind of signal you get over firewire from the camera instead of the cassette?

Also when you mention Firewire A vs. B, is that the 9-pin Firewire 800 versus the 6pin Firewire 400 connector? Are you going through an adapter of any sort?

Sep 13, 2011 11:23 PM in response to elikness

Here's where I'm at in this conundrum. I hooked up my Sony MiniDV cassette player to my PowerMac using a firewire "A" cable and the video imported just fine. I have never had a problem with this setup.

So far the problem seems to potentially be with my Sony cassette player, the Firewire "B" cable, and my iMac. To answer your question about the A vs B cable, yes I believe it is the 9 pin vs the 6 pin. In either case, the Firewire "B" cable has more of a square end that plugs into my iMac, while the Firewire "A" cable has more of an oblong or tipped rectangular end that plugs into my PowerMac.

I will try with my XL2, the Firewire "B" cable, and my iMac tomorrow.

Sep 14, 2011 11:31 AM in response to elikness

Ok, I used my XL2 with the Firewire 800 cable to my iMac. The video uploaded just fine. This is in a way unfortunate, because I suppose that means my Sony cassette recorder cannot be used with the Firewire 800 cable. This seems odd to me since the camera is actually older then the cassette player. I don't like to use my XL2 to play tapes back as I've always tried to not put extra wear and tear on the camera's tape heads. If you or anyone else paying attention has any suggestion so that I can use my Sony cassette recorder with my iMac I'm listening. For example, if anyone knows a great way to use a Firewire 400 cable with a 2011 iMac, or if anyone has a solution to be able to use my Sony Cassette Recorder with the Firewire 800 cable, that would be even better. In any case, thanks for listening and helping out.

Sep 14, 2011 3:30 PM in response to TWood20

Don't give up just yet! Where I work we've got some of those old Sony GVD-1000 series decks (if the pinch roller doesn't break off unexpectedly) and have been able to use a Firewire Adapter that plugs into the Firewire 800 connector. And it adapts then from 6pin Firewire 400 (A-style connector) to the 4-pin connector. That has also worked with some cheapy Canon MiniDV cams we have too.

It's a Sonnet Technologies plug:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw_adapter.html

Now it may make no sense at all, versus a hard wired cable that has the correct connectors on both ends, but maybe give an adatper a try and use your old 6pin-4pin cable? I completely understand wanting to keep the head wear down as much as possible on the XL2. That would be a tragedy to use that device as simple feeder deck just to do importing of video.

Video skips or lags when being imported into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.