Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import NEF (Nikon RAW file) to iphoto? It fails every time.

When I put my SD in my card reader, iphoto can preview the files on it. They are NEF format- RAW files from my Nikon DSLR camera. But when I try to import them, the import fails. How do I convert each file to JPG's without doing them separately and changing the file size? Thank you!

MacBook

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 5:28 AM

6 replies

Sep 12, 2011 5:46 AM in response to katieinitaly

What Nikon are you shooting with?

What version of the OS?

What version of iPhoto?

The Raw from every model of camera is different. Note: that's every model not every brand. So, the NEF produced by a Nikon D40 is not the same as the NEF produced by a D60, the CR2 produced by a Canon 350 is not the same as the CR2 produced by a Canon 400.

Sep 12, 2011 6:17 AM in response to katieinitaly

TD is right, You should telll us what the camera model is.

And be sure to have the latest CameraRaw from apple (via software update), the latest update (3.8) is of 31 August (although that did not add any new Nikon camera's).

On this page

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4757

you find all compatible camera's.

I advise you to connect the camera directly (with the supplied USB cable) to the mac, and try again. If that does not work, with Finder draw the photo's to the mac and import them from there.

Do not compress them to jpg, because that makes a loss of quality, unless you do not want to process the photo's.

Oct 13, 2011 7:35 AM in response to katieinitaly

I have a similar problem. I have a Nikon DC3100 and installed the latest version of iPhoto complete with updates running on Lion latest version. When I connect the camera iPhotos opens up and shows the number of photos ready to import (but not the preview image of the photos) but when I click import it runs through them all super fast and says "iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem downloading an image".

I have tried installing 'Nikon Transfer' application as suggested above however it is powerPC based and therefore wont run on lion.

I have tried opening image capture but exactly the same problem there.

I have tried putting the memory card in a card reader but it wont show up anywhere on the Mac.

Truly at a loss, and very frustrated!!

Oct 13, 2011 7:41 AM in response to graeme_miller

That may be an issue with the card.

Can you move the files from the card to a folder on the desktop, and then reformat the card with the camera.

Can you import from the desktop then?

If not:

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Regards

TD

Oct 22, 2011 11:57 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the help.

I took the camera to the apple store and we put the card straight into thier store iMac which showed the pictures jiust fine - at least the photos were OK!

Turns out the problem was caused by the USB cable from the camera to the iMac. The ends were damaged and replacing the cable has solved the problem. Who would have thought that it would discover the camera and the information about the photos but not transfer the actual images!

Might be of some use to people with a simialr problem?

How do I import NEF (Nikon RAW file) to iphoto? It fails every time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.