iPhoto 11 (9.5.1)
Mac OS X: 10.7.1
Situation: A couple months ago my wife imported the entire hard drive into iPhoto on her machine by accident. There are now 72,000+ photos, many of them duplicates and a lot of them thumbnails, cache images and random pictures and movies. I am guessing the original number was around 5,000. There is no backup of the original database.
Goal: Get database back to original (as close as possible) and remove all duplicate photos.
What I've tried: I first tried removing a lot of the images which were not by creating a smart albums based on specific information (e.g., filenames = ".gif" to remove Internet images, No EXIF data to remove thumbnails and other files, etc.) This was a great start as I was able to remove around 50,000 photos.
But then this caused a major problem when I selected "Empty iPhoto Trash". I let it tun for 24 hours but it never finished and had to force quit. This corrupted the database (I do have a backup of the 72,000+ photo database) and have basically now started from scratch again.
So now I have three questions:
1) Is there a way to create a smart album which is based on the size of the photo? (e.g., I only want photos which are greater than 800x800)
2) What is the best way to remove a large number of photos?
3) And then, once that is complete, how do I remove the duplicate photos?
Thanks Terence for your reply.
Here are the steps I took to fix the problem identified above:
- Create a copy of the iPhoto Library (which contained 72,000+ photos and movies. This file was 135 GB)
- Find the folder in the iPhoto Library which has the accidental import. Right-click or control-click the file and choose "Show Package Contents". Once there, my folder was "Masters -> 2011 -> 08"
- Delete the folder.
- Download ($20) iPhoto Library Manager and launch the app.
- Select the library in step #1 and choose "Rebuild Library" from the File menu. Here is a link which identifies what can and can't be copied when rebuilding the library.
This process took about 2 hours to complete with a lot of the time rebuilding thumbnails and faces. The finished file was 22GB and a little less than 10,000 photos.