Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does the thin blue line over the Finder icon mean?

Hello everyone!

I have a question about something that I have noticed recently: a thin blue line over the Finder icon in the Dock. I don't know for how long it has been there.

What is weird is that it has nothing to do with my screen malfunctioning as it disapears when I hide the Dock or use an application in Full-Screen mode.

Here is a picture of what it looks like...

User uploaded file

Could anyone tell me what the purpose of this line is, please? I know it is probably not a major issue, but as any Mac user, I am fussy about details...

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 11:53 AM

16 replies

Sep 14, 2011 8:28 AM in response to eww

Yes Eww, that is exactly what I am refering to!

Thanks for your advice Wjosten. I actually tried to do what you said, but I could not find exactly the same file in the Preference file. All I found was a Plist file called 'com.apple.dockfixup'. As I am still not familiar with my Mac, I dared not to delete it, I prefered waiting for approval 😝. Is it this file you were refering to?

Thank you for all your quick replies!

Cheers!

Sep 14, 2011 9:43 AM in response to Valedictorian

Did you restart your computer?

I am not sure, but I think you have to delete the other dock preference file too.

The dockfixup.plist is in the root Library-folder.

The dock.plist is in the User-Library folder.

If you want you enter following commands into your Terminal (copy & paste), to remove both:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.dockfixup.plist

enter your password, although you will not see the characters and hit <enter>

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.db

restart your computer.

If this does not help, you could create a new user, log in with the new account, to see whether the little thin line is still there ...

marek

Sep 15, 2011 2:10 PM in response to Valedictorian

Hey everyone!

Thank you very much Marek Stepanek and Wjosten! You suggestions have been quite useful!

I did everything you said Marek Stepanek, but simultanously my Mac checked for updates and intalled them after (before rebooting). My problem is now solved, but I do not know for sure what was the real solution...

Nevertheless your explanations were clear and precise! I wish any support community would be as great as Apple's, with people like you 🙂.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

— Valedictorian

Jul 3, 2012 9:48 PM in response to Marek Stepanek

Hey!

I had the exact problem as described above and Marek Stepanek's solution worked perfectly! Thankyou!

Marek Stepanek wrote:

Did you restart your computer?

I am not sure, but I think you have to delete the other dock preference file too.

The dockfixup.plist is in the root Library-folder.

The dock.plist is in the User-Library folder.

If you want you enter following commands into your Terminal (copy & paste), to remove both:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.dockfixup.plist

enter your password, although you will not see the characters and hit <enter>

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.db

restart your computer.

If this does not help, you could create a new user, log in with the new account, to see whether the little thin line is still there ...

marek

What does the thin blue line over the Finder icon mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.