Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MP4 out of Memory Issues... Will developers ever get with the program?

The reality of video editing today is that editors must be able to convert and/or edit mp4 videos. Many Clients do not have the original video files and it is worth a lot of money to them to have the mp4 videos edited. I have successfully converted and/or edited mp4 videos on numerous occasions. Sometimes with Premiere Pro and sometimes with FCP.

Some MP4 files will successfully convert in Copmpressor using the intermediate codec other MP4s will not load up into compressor at all or the conversion will fail halfway through. File size is not an issuree since sometimes a file wich works is much larger than one that doesn't.

Some MP4 videos will come into FCP fine if you change the file extension to .mov before bringing it in. It's the same way with Premiere BTW.

However, some MP4 videos will cause the out of memory error even though they might be smaller in size than the other mp4s which work.

There are some third party conversion programs out there I have yet to try. However, I don't have much confidence they will work ( I've tried a few already) though I will check them out just in case.

Does anyone know why software developers are asleep or seemingly unable/unwilling to sort this issue out? Also does anyone know why apple is silent on the issue?

Compressor, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Apple Ignoring needs of editors.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 3:04 PM

9 replies

Sep 12, 2011 3:26 PM in response to rhettfromnew york

Have you tried editing these with FCP X? That's the latest version of FCP.

Why haven't developers been able to deal with this? Well, because MP4s are NOT EDITING CODECS. They are DELIVERY codecs. Final ways to view your finished product. They are highly compressed in ways that don't easily lend themselves to be edited frame accurately. That format was never intended to be edited. That's not why it was designed.

>Many Clients do not have the original video files and it is worth a lot of money to them to have the mp4 videos edited.

Why don't they? They existed at some point. Perhaps because they hired people to produce content for them, and they were given the finals, but now want to edit them or make them into something else, but don't want to go back to the original place because they are too expensive, so they go "hey, I have these compressed files, they are easy to edit, right? I'll just get someone else to edit these, cheaper. Video is video after all." And they are wrong. Video isn't video, and they aren't easy to edit.

Try MPEG STREAMCLIP for converting. If you have, and it didn't work....well, don't know what to say. Other than to rant at the clients, not the designers of the codecs. Video codecs are designed for specific uses. Some are designed for editing, some are only for delivery. Some of the delivery codecs have security built in so that you cannot convert them into editable codecs. In that case, the engineers did their jobs well.

Sep 13, 2011 5:59 AM in response to rhettfromnew york

Shane is spot on; all video is not equal and as you've discovered, there are several variations of MPEG-4 video so even all MP4 video isn't equal. With each codec that's developed, manufacturers find a ways to modify that codec to their specific needs and advantage, thus creating a vast myriad of standards. A big part of any professional editor's responsibilities these days is to at least understand that there are differences in video formats, how those differences affect their job in editing and how to convert/transcode formats/codecs to obtain the optimum workflow while maintaining the best quality.

-DH

Standards are wonderful and there are so many to choose from.

MP4 out of Memory Issues... Will developers ever get with the program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.