Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Restarts Several Times During Startup Process

As the title states, my 2010 Macbook Pro will restart several times (Usually 2 to 3 times; 3 or more is rare but has happened) before the desktop shows and I can interact with the content on my computer. I'm able to input my login credentials (with encrypted drives you have to put in your login credentials before much happens). After that, the Apple logo comes then is accompanied by the spinning wheel under it; it will sit like this for a couple minutes then restart. This happens everytime I turn my Mac on.

However, it should be noted that this started happening immediatly after I encrypted my drive for the second time; could this be a factor? Another thing to note is that it takes about 5 times longer to startup than before, only to restart and try again; it took only about 20-30 seconds to start up before and now it takes about 3-4 minutes total with all restarts.

I have performed a "repair disk permissions" but that did not fix the problem.

Also, this is unrelated to the problem above (or maybe it isn't) but at the beggining of startup, before anything occurs (even the chime), my Mac makes a wierd sound. It's even worse when the sound is muted prior to turning on my Mac. This has occured ever since I got my Mac in 2010 and continues to happen everytime my Mac starts up.

Please Help. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2010 Model), Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 2:49 PM

6 replies

Sep 13, 2011 11:25 PM in response to swensona

I experience the same problem on a 2011 15" i7 8MB MBP. I had some suspicions that it could be a root-kit and ran rkhunter (recommended btw, very friendly ppl on their mailinglist. Though you need to be comfortable with runnig scripts in Terminal) anyway rkhunter didn't find anything.

I still have the problem, please post here if you find anything interesting.

Message was edited by: Godsgifttohumanity. Spelling

Sep 15, 2011 4:34 PM in response to swensona

Problem Solved! Apparently there is a problem with the way Parallels 6 or 7 was interacting with Mac OS 10.7.1 after encrypting using File Vault. The Parallels team have issued a fix for the problem which can be downloaded right now. This fixed the problem and everything is back to normal.

Here's an article that will explain more about it:

http://www.cultofmac.com/113822/mysterious-multi-restart-logins-plague-file-vault-macbook-users/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cultofmac%2FbFow+%28Cult+of+Mac%29

However, the mysterious noise that occurs at every bootup still occurs...

swensona wrote:

Also, this is unrelated to the problem above (or maybe it isn't) but at the beggining of startup, before anything occurs (even the chime), my Mac makes a wierd sound. It's even worse when the sound is muted prior to turning on my Mac. This has occured ever since I got my Mac in 2010 and continues to happen everytime my Mac starts up.

MacBook Pro Restarts Several Times During Startup Process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.