Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Category Field in iTunes

What is the category field used for? Where to edit category field in itunes?

iPod classic, Windows XP

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 12:44 AM

4 replies

Sep 13, 2011 12:51 AM in response to W B Raajarajan

The Category field is used as a genre field for Podcasts. Podcasts for some reason normally have their Genre set to "Podcast" although I don't think it is mandatory. iTunes won't let you edit the Category field directly, though it can be modified via a script. I've written one called ChangeCategory for the task.

Probably best to use Genre or Grouping depending on exactly what it is you want to achieve.

tt2

Aug 2, 2015 10:48 AM in response to turingtest2

Resurrecting ... I have info entered in the Category field having nothing to do with podcasts since entries were before podcasts existed. Now, I can neither find a way to alter or remove them. There are some 16,000 songs using three categories that I used to refer to and sort on.

Any way to work with this field and modify/erase info in a bulk way?

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2016 6:30 AM in response to mah44

I'd assume James is using Windows. A shame I missed his post at the time.

The script I mentioned above will set a category value for any media item, including an empty value for removal. It isn't limited to podcasts though that is the only place that iTunes really makes use of the field. It can be shown in the songs view if you wish. There is probably scope to update my various KeywordsToField scripts to include Category as source data so it could be copied over into a more useful location.

tt2

Category Field in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.