Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making/Using/Creating a copyright symbol for general typing

This took me ages to find and it was an outdated idea that helped me find out how to do it on my 2011 macbook pro.

All you need to is hold down fn, option and g © nice and easy. It took me ages to discover this. I'd been copying and pasting it from all over the place.

I hope this was easy to find

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 4:43 AM

Shouldn't need the fn key. All the common symbols and diacritics are available using alt (option) or shift-alt.

System Preferences > Language and Text > Input Sources tab. Top of the left column, tick (check) "Keyboard and Character Viewer", Bottom of window next to search field, tick "Show input menu in menu bar"

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard tab; tick "show keyboard and character viewers in menu bar"

If you open Keyboard Viewer and press the alt (option) key, the location of the marks will be revealed. Note that five of them are highlighted in orange; these are the ones which can be used with multiple letters (acute, umlaut, gràve, circumflex and tilde)

Shift+Alt will show more.

To use the highlighted ones, type alt+key, followed by the letter the diacritic is to go over.

For example, alt+e followed by e = é, alt+u followed by u = ü, alt+n followed by n = ñ.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2011 4:43 AM in response to cactus70

Shouldn't need the fn key. All the common symbols and diacritics are available using alt (option) or shift-alt.

System Preferences > Language and Text > Input Sources tab. Top of the left column, tick (check) "Keyboard and Character Viewer", Bottom of window next to search field, tick "Show input menu in menu bar"

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard tab; tick "show keyboard and character viewers in menu bar"

If you open Keyboard Viewer and press the alt (option) key, the location of the marks will be revealed. Note that five of them are highlighted in orange; these are the ones which can be used with multiple letters (acute, umlaut, gràve, circumflex and tilde)

Shift+Alt will show more.

To use the highlighted ones, type alt+key, followed by the letter the diacritic is to go over.

For example, alt+e followed by e = é, alt+u followed by u = ü, alt+n followed by n = ñ.

Making/Using/Creating a copyright symbol for general typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.