Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text to speech problems

I have my Mac announce the time every 1/4 hour in Japanese. The first problem is that it's saying "it's" before the time... for example "it's go ji ju go fun" but with the Japanese accent, it sounds (oddly enough) like the Japanese word for "when." The second problem is that it is saying "o'clock" in a Japanese accent (sounds like "oku roku" after the hour-number).

In order to provide replicateable examples of what I'm talking about: Using OS 10.7.1, grab the "Kyoko" text to speech voice and set the Date & Time system preference to announce the time every 1/4 hour with the custom voice set to Kyoko. If you don't have the rest of your Mac language settings as Japanese, it should ask you if you are sure you want to use a voice that dosen't speak the current system language. Now wait for the next quarter-hour announcement.

I'm also attaching a clip of two examples:

The first clip you will hear is "it's 10:45" which sounds like Itsu Jyu Ji Yon Jyu Go Fun

I want to change into "now is 10:45" (今は10:45) which should sound likeIma wa Jyu Ji Yon Jyu Go Fun

The second clip is "it's 4:00" which sounds like Itsu Yon Oku Roku

This would, ideally, be "now is 4:00 - period" (今は4:00です。) which should sound like Ima wa Yo Ji Des

I know there must be some way to add an exception the "o'clock" modifier, otherwise the English TTS voices would say something like "it's nine zero zero" I just don't know where to look yet.. and I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of xcode.

audio clip here:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1g5V_0sdSyzYjgzMjliOWUtZTM4MC00ZDU0LTgyMDUtZTF kYTU4MjgxYzQ0&hl=en_US

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Ezra

Mac OS X (10.7.1), Using Text to Speech voice Kyoko

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 8:46 AM

There are no replies.

text to speech problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.