Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer a phonebook from the iPhone to another device?

I have a new Panasonic phone system at home that provides a bluetooth link. It allows for the transfer of phonebooks from a linked cell phone selectively if the phone supports PBAP (phone book access profile). The phone system instructions refer the user to the cellphone instructions as to how to copy the phonebook. (The system does not have the capacity to store all of the entries in my iPhone phonebook, so I need to be able to transfer them by Group or otherwise selectively.) Does the iPhone support PBAP? If so, how do you select and copy Groups or individual entries?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 3:39 PM

24 replies

Sep 13, 2011 3:58 PM in response to wjosten

If that's the case, it's a useless feature on the Panasonic. It does not use the cellphone's phonebook, it accepts transfers of data from it to the Panasonic's phonebook, which does not have anything like the capacity that would be required for my entire iPhone phonebook, especially since Panasonic treats each phone number as a separate entry.

Sep 13, 2011 8:13 PM in response to John Hammer1

This device includes a landline phone and supports up to two paired cellphones. According to its instructions, you can transfer phone numbers from either ot the paired cellphones, or even another cellphone, for use in placing calls, either on the landline or on one of the cellphones that is paired at the time.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have posed the question with Panasonic support. If they have a useful response, I will post it here.

Sep 15, 2011 10:43 AM in response to fanghorn

The following is an edited compilation of two responses from Panasonic tech support:

Based on the information you have provided, we regret to inform you that iPhone does not support PBAP (PhoneBook Access Profile) for bluetooth connection. It not possible to transfer selected numbers from your cellphone to the Panasonic phone system.

The iPhone 4 is compatible for phonebook transfer. However, the iPhone 4 does not have the feature of selecting items in the phonebook. This is a feature limitation on theiPhone 4 but other compatible cellular phones can transfer phonebook items manually.

I infer that the iPhone supports PBAP, but not its component that allows for selective transfers. Thanks again for suggestions.

Dec 13, 2011 8:44 PM in response to fanghorn

i found a way using a mac with bluetooth

before anything make a goup in your adress book of your mac with the contacts you whant to transfer. and export a Vcard of that group.

1. turn on bluetooth in your mac , select show bluetooth status in the menu bar-

set ad new device

2. in panasonic menu - transfer phonebook transfer - select ...

3. in your mac, in the bluetooth menu bar send file,and send the Vcard you export

4. select base panasonic

enjoy!

Jan 5, 2013 12:40 PM in response to sarafrommexico

sarafrommexico's solution worked with my Macbook running Lion and my Panasonic KX-TG254 - my iPhone 4 could only send all or none of my contacts. This method allows for sending a subset of contacts to the Panasonic unit.

With my system, I did have to fiddle with the bluetooth settings on the Mac to actually pair it with the Panasonic before being able to transfer the VCF file to the phone. I think bluetooth on Lion works differently than earlier versions of IOS. And it takes quite a while for the transfer to finish (somewhere near a half hour for just 74 vcards).

How do I transfer a phonebook from the iPhone to another device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.