Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't backup flash drive to Time Machine

I have a flash drive (Patriot Rage XT 64GB) I want to back up with Time Machine. It is plugged into a MacBook Pro running 10.7. I have a Mac mini server (10.7 as well) that is acting as the Time Machine remote backup disk. The MBP backs up through Time Machine just fine.

When I go into the Time Machine preferences and click on the Options button, my flash drive is listed in the "Exclude these items from backups" list. When I try to remove the flash drive from the list it goes away, but when I click the Save button and then go back to the list (clicking Options again) my flash drive is listed again.

So my flash drive isn't being backed up because it is on the exclude list. But I can't remove it from the list. Every time I remove it it goes right back when I look at the list again.

How do I get it to stay off the excluded list? Is there something about the drive that makes it unable to back up? When I was running 10.6 I was able to back the flash drive up to a remote backup disk just fine.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 9:20 PM

21 replies

Sep 15, 2011 9:54 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well, getting rid of the

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist
file didn't help. Now my Time Machine is unconfigured, but my flash drive still shows up on the exclude list. And I ran a Repair from Disk Utility on the flash drive, which found no errors and didn't help any.

So there must be something about my flash drive that Time Machine doesn't like.

Dec 3, 2011 12:09 PM in response to Linc Davis

I am having the same problem: I cannot backup any flash drive on any of my 3 Lion machines because I cannot remove it from the excluded drives list. This is a major problem as I am using a 120GB flash drive to carry all my documents and data, and had no problem creating TM backups on with Snow Leopard. After upgrading to Lion, TM will not backup my flash drive on any machine. Flash drive is Mac OS formatted, healthy, etc.

This appears to be a Lion bug and persisting in 10.7.2. Anybody has a resolution or workaround?

Dec 5, 2011 4:57 PM in response to mr10012

I don't believe it's a bug in OS X Lion simply because I am on OS X Leopard and it also puts my flash drives on the exclusion list. Although on Leopard, the option to remove the drive from the list is grayed out so I can't even attempt to do so. I really wish I could back up my Flash drive because it's where I keep ALL my work documents.

I can't understand why Time Machine would exclude flash drives other than the possibility that you can mess with them (although you can also mess with your HDD too).

Can't backup flash drive to Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.