Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download YouTube video

Previously I can download YouTube video by opening the Activity and clieck on the right item then FLV file will be saved. But now instead of downloading it, Safari open it and play such video in the new tab. I'm not sure that this is happen after having some upgrade to Safari or after upgrading to Lion.

Do you guys face the same problem or have any solution to download YouTube video?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 10:55 PM

10 replies

Sep 14, 2011 12:18 AM in response to yosawat

Hey yosawat!

Welcome to Apple Support forums.

I have been using your technique to download YouTube videos for a long time, and have now discovered it doesn't work all the time.

When you open the Activity window on a YouTube page, the link to the video usually has 3.4MB of 5MB or something like that on the right, with a link usually starting with on "http://o-o.preferred.exetel-syd1.v5.lscache7.c.youtube.com/" the left. If this is the case, click it once with your cursor, then copy it into QuickTime. Press Command-U. It will open up a dialogue. Paste it into the text field and hit enter. When the progress bar for your video finishes loading, then hit Command-S and save it!

If there is no 3.4MB of 5MB etc., then there'll be a bunch of links like i mentioned before. It's usually the last. Use the same method as outlined above.

If not, please reply and describe your situation. I'll try to help more from there!

Hope this helped, xeniqillu

Sep 14, 2011 2:32 AM in response to yosawat

yosawat wrote:

Do you guys face the same problem or have any solution to download YouTube video?

I use SnapzPro, the movie version:

Snapz Pro X | Ambrosia Software, Inc.

89 USD. It is the premier screen capture tool. To download a YouTube video, I run the video to the end, then stop it and return to the beginning. In SnapzPro I select the video, start SnapzPro and the video at the same time. Perfect results every time. I use it for all my screen capture jobs, still and movie, but some might find it rather expensive for occasional use.

Mar 18, 2012 1:51 PM in response to charlesadam

Hi charlesadam!

I just bought a macbook pro and tried the keepvid method that always works on my windows based computer. When I try it on my mac all I get after copying the Youtube url and then pressing DOWNLOAD it freezes with "Loading Java Applet" I've tried different videos and different times of the day, with no success. Any suggestions?

Can't download YouTube video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.