Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unknown error (46) iPhone 3Gs

My friend's iPhone 3Gs is in restore mode and each time I try to restore it I get the message

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (46)."

I have tried all number of things. Sometimes the code is (47), but 99% of the time the error is (46)

The iPhone will not restore, Software recognises it, but it will simply not restore. I have had this phone previously for a similar issue and I was able to fix it by performing some actions which I can't recall now. I think the code was different that time, but there was some messing about in the registry involved from memory. If anyone can help My friend would appreciate it!

So would I too...

Thanks in advance,

Rudolph

iPhone 3GS, Windows 7, Unknown Error (46)

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 5:02 AM

11 replies

Sep 14, 2011 4:19 PM in response to paulcb

Hi Paul, nope... not jailbroken.... Which is annoying, since it seems the only solution might be to jailbreak it... But I don't want to, and I'm pretty sure my friends don't want me to...

I tried DFU mode also using a third party tool, this had the same result... I then tried interrupting the restore at the point immediately before it throws the error and this resulted in the error changing to 1611, then when I put the phone back into restore I got error 47, then on the second attempt error 46 again... and again, and again...

I spent 2 hours on google last night, went through 30 results pages and the best I could find was "?" for error code 46... very helpful.... LOL

It prepares the iPhone for the restore, the iPhone reboots and shows the progress circle at the very bottom, then shows the progress bar and that's when iTunes says An unknown error has occurred (46)

Sep 14, 2011 6:15 PM in response to rudo1ph

I do not know this Error Code either. But here are my thoughts.

Clean iPhone Dock Port very well with lint free cloth moistened with Isopropyll Alcohol, clean especially the pins which are on top of the dock mid rib. A toothbrush and some Isopropyll Alcohol will work too.

Use another known good USB Cable.

Try using another computer. If PC use dedicated USB port on back of computer.

Reload current version of iTunes. Reload new ISPW 4.3.5 for 3GS.

Turn off firewall, antiVirus, etc.

Restore again.

Mar 13, 2012 2:04 PM in response to rudo1ph

Hello All,

My iphone 3 shut itself down. I tunes would then try to restart the phone, but when it got to the point of saying "contacting the phone" the error message number 46 would come up. So frustrating,

To fix it:

1. I did a unexpected shut down of my computer (holding the power button).

2. I re opened itunes.

3. I connected my home to itunes.

4. I pressed and held the home (bottom button on iphone) and the top button on the iphone, at the same time.

5. After exactly ten seconds I released the top button (your iphone screen may be blank and the phone will disconnect from itunes).

6. I then held the home button (I think thats what it's called, it's the only buttom on the face of the iphone), I held this button until the phone was re-recognized by itunes.

7. I then followed the itunes promts to restore and was elated when it worked. (I also pressed home a couple times out of pure frustration at the point when the iphone screen has a apple on it with a progress bar on the bottom, but I don't think that effected the process.)

I think the real change in the process that worked for me, was putting the phone in DFU mode after the phone was already connected to itunes (DFU process described in steps 4-6).

All the best, LP

unknown error (46) iPhone 3Gs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.