Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change time on files

The time/date on my macbook pro are set correctly. However, the time on my files (i.e. documents, images, etc.) have a different time. How do I get them to coincide? For example, I created and saved a file at 1:34 p.m. ET on 9/14/11. The file says it was created at that time. The modified date/time of the file says 9/15/11 at 2:29 p.m. This is on all types of files being created by all of my software - Adobe, MS Office, etc. I'm running OSX 10.5.8.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 10:47 AM

3 replies

Sep 14, 2011 11:13 AM in response to aegeiger

Let me see whether I understand the problem correctly. You create and save a new file. Its creation date/time is shown correctly in the Finder, and it has never been modified. Yet a modification date/time is shown for it that is not just wrong, but hasn't even arrived yet. Is this what's happening?

There are utilities that enable you to edit the creation and modification dates of files (as well as all the other metadata that the Finder stores about them). The one I use is File Buddy 9.0.2:

http://www.skytag.com/

But you will want to eliminate the cause of the problem before resorting to such a utility to correct the damage, and I haven't a clue in the world what the cause could be. I've never heard of such a problem before.

Sep 14, 2011 11:15 AM in response to aegeiger

Hello aegeiger!

If I understood well, you would like more to see the creation date instead of modified date? In the Finder go to the menu "View" and arrange by: here you have the choice of "last opened", "added", "modified", "created".

Did this help? If you need to change dates of many files, I could suggest you a Perl script or an Apple script. I am sure some others here will be able to suggest some Python scripts too.

marek

Sep 14, 2011 11:28 AM in response to eww

Thanks eww. In the example, I gave, it was actually modified. Other files, such as a JPEG I saved (without any modification) are giving both the created and modified dates the same, but are incorrect. One picture saved today (9/14/11) at 1:05 p.m. ET, says that it was created and modified on 9/15/11 at 2:05 p.m. So yes, sometimes it's correct file info and other times completely incorrect. I've noticed this for some time, but haven't really worried about it, but it's getting to be a pain in trying to find files by date sometimes.

Marek...it's actually not a matter of just changing the metadata on the file individually, but a widespread issue. I don't know coding, so if that's a solution, I will need complete step-by-step instructions.

How to change time on files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.