Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 4 crashes while trying to save or export

The program works fine when I'm in it, but crashes the minute I try to save or export. Here is what I have tried to do so far. First I just unistalled Motion from a article I found off of Apple's website and then re-installed. Didn't work. I then used Digital Rebellion's FCS Remover and removed the entire Final Cut Studio and then re-installed and downloaded the latest updates. Still didn't work. I've started in Safe Mode, zapped the PRAM, repaired permissions, trashed preferences still didn't work.

The machine I'm trying to get to work is the following:

Mac Pro (early 2009)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

8GB of RAM

OS X 10.6.8

I can render a Motion project in Final Cut and Compressor and can also see it in QuickTime, granted these where all files before I started having this issue. If I just open Motion with a empty project and hit save, it crashes.

If I posted a crash log file, do you really know what you are looking for or just guessing? I've combed through it myself and not sure what it is the problem, but if you can identify the issue I will post one.

Any thoughts???

Thanks for your help.

2 x 3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Final Cut Server, Facilis Terrablock, AJA Kona, Atto Fibre Chann

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 11:45 AM

Okay, so I happened accross the following link that described what the issue is. There main problem was with DVDSP but someone suggested I try it to see if it works and voila. It fixed my Motion issue completely. Oddly enough someone else in our department was experiencing a DVDSP problem where it would crash everytime you tried to load an asset. Applied the same technique described below and works.

Basically it had something to do with a new version of ProKit. On the website they say that you need to reverse ProKit to an older version, version 5.1, which is compatible with Snow Leopard. I noticed that the folder in which to find ProKit I actually had two:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

ProKit.framework - this was version 7.01

ProKit(SnowLeopard).framework - this was version 5.1

Basically what I did was copy ProKit(SnowLeopard).framework to the Desktop.

Drag ProKit.framework to the trash

Rename the ProKit(SnowLeopard).framework on the Desktop to ProKit.framework and put it back into /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

You'll probably need to authenticate somewhere in all of this.

I went ahead a left the Prokit(SnowLeopard).framework in the PrivateFrameworks folder, so this is what it ends up looking like:

ProKit.framework - this was version 5.1

Before I test it out. I restarted then emptied the Trash.

Hope That Helps

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/mac_os_x_10.6.6_breaking_final_cut_st udio.html

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/restoring_an_older_version_of_prokit. html

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2011 11:45 AM in response to Matt Uncapher

Okay, so I happened accross the following link that described what the issue is. There main problem was with DVDSP but someone suggested I try it to see if it works and voila. It fixed my Motion issue completely. Oddly enough someone else in our department was experiencing a DVDSP problem where it would crash everytime you tried to load an asset. Applied the same technique described below and works.

Basically it had something to do with a new version of ProKit. On the website they say that you need to reverse ProKit to an older version, version 5.1, which is compatible with Snow Leopard. I noticed that the folder in which to find ProKit I actually had two:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

ProKit.framework - this was version 7.01

Basically what I did was copy ProKit(SnowLeopard).framework to the Desktop.

Drag ProKit.framework to the trash

Rename the ProKit(SnowLeopard).framework on the Desktop to ProKit.framework and put it back into /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

You'll probably need to authenticate somewhere in all of this.

I went ahead a left the Prokit(SnowLeopard).framework in the PrivateFrameworks folder, so this is what it ends up looking like:

ProKit.framework - this was version 5.1

Before I test it out. I restarted then emptied the Trash.

Hope That Helps

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/mac_os_x_10.6.6_breaking_final_cut_st udio.html

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/restoring_an_older_version_of_prokit. html

Motion 4 crashes while trying to save or export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.