Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Apple IDs

Hi...it seems that my iPhone is linked up with two Apple IDs...one as my username and the other as my email. I must have created a new one along the line somewhere. My issue is that I have accidently signed in with the ID that is my email (not the one I usually use) and purchased a few apps with it. My problem arrises when these apps need updating as it says that I have to repurchase the apps because the Apple Store thinks my ID is incorrect. So basically I need to keep switching IDs. Does anyone know of a way that I can merges these two IDs so all my apps are linked with my primary Apple ID?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 5:30 PM

9 replies

Sep 14, 2011 6:49 PM in response to weatherologist

There is no way to currently merge IDs. You will just have to keep switching, unless you want to repurchase the apps under a single ID. This issue occurs on my husband's iPhone also. I have purchased apps under my ID, and he would also like to have them on his phone, so when those apps need updating, I have to enter my ID and password. It's a bit inconvenient but not a huge deal.

Sep 14, 2011 7:35 PM in response to weatherologist

It's not possible to merge 2 or more iTunes accounts into one. It's also not possible to have apps/music/media from different iTunes accounts on the phone at the same time.

If you only purchased "a few apps" with one of your accounts, the best solution may be to bite the bullet and re-purchase then under the other account rather than the continuous hassle of switching accounts in the phone and re-syncing the phone

Sep 14, 2011 7:39 PM in response to modular747

I have the same problem with two IDs. It happend when I registered my Ipad last month. Is there a way to cancel the newest account? The problem is my main Apple ID email needs to change because the account will close down on Friday. I wanted to change it to my current gmail account but it won't let me because my newest account is using my gmail address.

Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions that migh help me??

Cheers,

Cheri

Dec 27, 2011 5:19 PM in response to weatherologist

APPLE needs to aleviate this issue. I have an apple ID and an iCloud ID and the two cannot intermingle! I would be happy to choose only one, yet I cannot associate one email address with the other! Even beter I am in the DEV program so when I go to do anything with that my iOS devices get totally screwed up. (For you DEV's reading this, yes, I have complained in the DEV support communities)

C'mon APPLE straighten this out!!!

Jan 12, 2012 11:24 AM in response to cherifromnepean

Hi Cheri, did u manage to get this problem resolved? My stepdad has managed to do the same thing and the email address which has all his music etc doesn't exist! And he can't change it to the new email address because it is already in existence? Or is it even possible to get the new one closed down so that it can then be edited from the old one? Please let me know if you have had any joy? Thanks.

Jan 20, 2013 11:13 AM in response to Roxanne87

I do not think you can resovle the situation you are describing. You cannot merge 2 separate Apple Ids or ITunes IDs (same thing).

However although it might cost you a little in that you would have to repurchase some Apps etc, I can tell you how to avoid this problem in the future and share your photos, music, apps etc. with all your devices.

I own 2 iPads, 4 iPhones and 1 MacBook Pro and using one Apple Id on all of them we can then share photos etc as I described above and each family member with an iPhone owned by me has their own separate emails set up and can delete from their iPad any Apps they don"t like without removing them from the other iPad. You cannot however delete any contacts or photos without them also being deleted from the other iPhones. But if you can put up with a wider bunch of contacts and seeing everyone in your family's photos then this could be a solution for you in the future. A big plus doing this is that you can then share music too with the others in your "household" or family.

Hope this helps.

Oct 8, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Stephen J-

This is exactly what tripped me up. At some point I was forced to create a new Apple ID as an iOS developer (don't even remember when as that was around iOS3). As the years went by I wasn't even aware of the distinction until recently trying to backup and then restore onto a new device. I am just now realizing the world of pain I've gotten myself into. This entire Apple ID scheme is a complete mess. I'm now tied to some stupid @mac.com address that I don't use for anything in life, except, apparently, for hundreds of dollars of apps that I no longer have access to.

Multiple Apple IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.