Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to adjust audio sync of entire sequence

I am cutting a short film that was shot on Super 16mm, transferred to ProRes, and the audio which was recorded separately was all synced by the sound guy (very experienced) and given to me along with the rushes in two identical length files.

The first thing that I noticed was that the sound was actually out of sync with the pictures, and that even with waveforms visible, the volume of the audio that was heard did not relate to the volume indicated on the waveforms. I asked the sound guy, and he said he'd had that once before when he prepped audio for Final Cut. He said just re-sync the audio and go for it. So I did.

Now we are 14 versions of the cut later, and we needed new hard drives as we'd run out of space, so I purchased two 2TB drives (Master & Back-Up) and copied everything over. When I first opened the project I had to re-link the audio & video which all went very smoothly as always.

BUT!!! The audio has now re-set itself back to the correct sync and the waveforms all line up with the sounds & volumes like they should have in the beginning. So I have a ten minute film all cut together with all of the audio out of sync on hundreds of little pieces of Video & Audio.

Is there a way that I can somehow adjust the original linked video/audio master files by a certain number of frames so that when I reconnect to that adjusted master all of the audio & video will pop into sync?

If anyone has had any experience similar to this I would love to hear from you.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 9:38 PM

7 replies

Sep 15, 2011 8:51 AM in response to STUPENDOUS!!!

Yes, using the slip tool, Press shift-L to temporarily unlink audio and N to turn off snapping... Then press S. Your cursor will change. Assuming all of your audio is the same # of frames off, select your audio clips holding down shift (you have to hold shift for the first clip you select as well). Then press either + or - and the # of frames your audio is off. For example -10 or +6.... HTH

Sep 15, 2011 4:03 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Thanks Michael: All footage is correct frame rate 24fps it's not a speed thing, it was some kind of weird sync bug that came, (possibly a Pro Tools vs. Final Cut compatibility issue) that went away after much editing. The problem is that every clip is out by the same amount and all clips have audio level keyframes and beziers that I'd like to retain. Currently the audio level beziers are in the correct position relative to pictures, but because of the audio sync shift the ups and downs are affecting the audio incorrectly. I need to adjust the RAW master audio clips and reconnect so that they come back into sync again.

How to adjust audio sync of entire sequence

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.