Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unread Message Count Incorrect on Exchange Account's Inbox

I have a MB Air, MB Pro, and iMac. Each are loaded with (properly licensed) Mac OS X Lion. I am using Mail Version 5.0 (1244.2/1244.3). Each of the systems are configured to use with my company's Microsoft Exchange system. Recently, the unread message count in my inbox for the exchange account and on the icon badge in the dock is reporting that I have 8 more messages in it than I really have. This unread message count ONLY happens on one machine - the MacBook Pro. All other machines are fine, and accessing the same account on Outlook 2011 also is fine. The counts on the iPhone and the iPad are also fine.

I tried rebuilding the mailbox, and nothing happens. I tried removing the account and then adding it again, and nothing happens. I created a "Smart Mailbox" to ask for all unread messages, and nothing appears. I tried searching the web and this forum and can't find anything that helps to correct this incorrect count.

Anyone have another option to try? Is there a file that I can remove from the Library or the contents of Mail.app? Everything works. It's just a major nuisance.

Many thanks in advance.

JP

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 7:52 AM

7 replies

Sep 17, 2011 4:16 AM in response to John Prusnick

I've got exactly the same problem. I have an Exchange mailbox setup on my iMac at home. I also have an iPad and a Blackberry, both of which are synced to the same Exchange account, and of course my office PC is also synced. Only my iMac at home is reporting 7 unread messages in the Exchange email. I've gone through the same troubleshooting steps as John above (deleted the account twice and re-added -- no luck. Rebuilt the mailbox -- no luck. Added a Smartmailbox showing only unread messages -- no luck, nothing appears. I highlighted all the messages in my inbox and marked them as "Read", but it's still reporting 7 unread messages! This has to be a glitch in Mail on the iMac, but ..... what?

Agreed, this is a major annoyance. Any help on a fix would be appreciated.

Sep 17, 2011 6:02 PM in response to Tgara

OK, I think I found a fix to the mystery Unread Messages notification, and it fixed my Unread Message errors in my Exchange account. From my searching on the internet, apparently on some Macs, Mail doesn't run indexing after Lion has been installed. This behavior causes Mail to show the incorrect Unread Message count next to mailboxes AND it causes Mail to have the wrong count in the red badge on the Mail icon in the dock (if you have thatfeature enabled). Basically, the indexing information is wrong and needs to be reloaded with the correct info.

Here’s what I did to fix it:

1. QuitMail.

2. In a Finder window, navigate to Username/Library/Mail/V2/MailData, and delete any file that begins with Envelope Index, such as "Envelope Index" or "Envelope Index-shm" or "Envelope Index – wal". In my case, I had all 3 of these Envelope indexes, and moved them to the trash. NOTE: When accessing Library, keep in mind that your home Library is hidden in Lion. To access it, from the Finder, hold down the Option key and click on the Go menu. The Library should be then be shown in the menu and you can select it.

3. Restart Mail. It will then rebuild a new list of messages, which can take some time, so be patient. Another NOTE for EXCHANGE users: After removing the Envelope Indexes, my Exchange account email content was blank. To revive it, I had to delete my Exchange email account and add it again fresh. After adding it from scratch (and the download took a while since I have about 12K messages), the mystery Unread Message notifications were gone.

Aug 18, 2012 1:20 PM in response to Tgara

Worked. Thanks for the detailed steps!

Just as a heads up ... I had 2 emails that popped up in my draft folder. Both of which were sent TO me but for some reason Mail thought they were MY drafts. It was asking which outgoing mail server to use, I chose "Edit Message" or something like that and just closed the message window - still had to delete from draft folder.

Also I re-received an email from 4 years ago - odd.

Process was not completely error free, but not even close to a hassle.

Unread Message Count Incorrect on Exchange Account's Inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.