Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Not Booting Up, disk0s2: I/O error

Turned on my MBP with Lion installed. I get the apple loading screen with the little spinning icon... and that's it. turned it off, turned it back on, went off to take care of something, 10 minutes came back... still apple icon with spinning icon below it. Turned it off. Rebooted in Verbos mode. disk0s2: I/O error keeps repeating. I do some research and there's suggestions of backing up and reformatting. Up rises another issue, I cannot boot into recovery mode to access disk utility I turn on the laptop and hold Command + R and I just keep getting the grey apple screen. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 8:38 AM

6 replies

May 10, 2013 7:08 AM in response to dmkellman

My iMac starts up slow and often stops working during the day after these errors. I run the Disk Utility frequently and it never finds any errors, but it is only a bandaid. How do I fix the issue ?

My iMac

24-inch, Early 2008

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I can not add anymore physical ram

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB

Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

May 10, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Samurai2k

1) The quick fix is to replace the drive, which is what almost any technician will do because it always works and provides rapid resolution.

2) Once you have some time, you MAY be able to revive the drive by erasing with Security Options, Zero all data (one pass). But this removes all data, and you need somewhere to park an additional Backup, so option 1 has more appeal as the first step.

Disk Utility only checks Directory Integrity, it does not read ANY non-Directory blocks. A more accurate command would be ( Repair Directory) rather than ( Repair Disk). If the Bad Blocks are not in the Directory, Disk Utility will not find them, but SMART Status sometimes does.

Lion Not Booting Up, disk0s2: I/O error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.