Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Record a narrated slideshow for YouTube?

Can Keynote do this? I want to take some photos, record some narration, and turn it into an audio slideshow that I can upload to YouTube. The images would automatically be displayed in order as the narration plays. If Keynote can't do this, perhaps another app can, like iMovie?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 9:16 AM

9 replies

Jan 23, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

I have done something similar to this by recording the narration in Garage Band, saving the file in iTunes, then selecting that file using the inspector in my Keynote slide presentation. Seems to work okay. You can even have a music track playing in the background as you can record more than one track at a time in Garage Band.

I then export the presentation to my desktop as a Quicktime movie, and the upload it from there to Youtube. Seems to work okay but it also seems to be a bit of a convoluted method to accomplish this task.

If anyone has an easier way to do this, I'd also like to know.

Jan 23, 2012 12:40 PM in response to AnnieGrace

Interesting timing, AnnieGrace! I just finished recording in keynote with garageband on at the same time, recording, too. I thought I might need a separate audio file to work with in iMovie—and within iMovie sync up the slides with the narration. Your approach might be easier than that.

Wondering though, when you recorded in GB how did you manage matching your narration to the slide transitions?

Thanks.

I hope someone posts with an easier solution. (I have a more detailed post about this starting a thread in the iOS apps section of these forums (my first time posting anything here).

Jan 23, 2012 12:54 PM in response to dancingletters

Hi Dancing Letters: It's a bit of a slice matching the narration to the transitions. I'm still working on getting it right, but here's what I did, or am still doing until I figure out a better way.

I do the slideshow first. Then I read the script and time myself on each page as to how long it takes to read the script for each slide.

I then set the transitions to a bit longer.

The problem is, when you export to Quicktime the transition time changes. However, I see that you can set the slide time and transition time when you export, so what I'm trying now is to set a fixed time for each slide that matches the option in the export to quicktime menu, ie., 5 seconds, and the build at 2 seconds. That way I know what I'm working with. I try to keep the script about 4 seconds just for a bit of leaway.

So when I record the audio in GB, I know I have 4 seconds for each page/slide.

Also, I record in GB without looking at the Keynote presentation. That way I can add a background music track as well as the voice over. I then select the recording I made in the inspector and add it to the K presentation.

It's not working perfectly, and there has to be a better way. I'm looking at Aperture right now as it seems to be more flexible than Keynote.

I'm signing off now but will check back later to see if you have a better idea or method. Perhaps someone else will come along, as well, to help us out.

Jan 23, 2012 2:36 PM in response to AnnieGrace

Sorry, can't suggest an easier way, or any way at all! Bought a new MacBook Pro before Christmas and have yet to sync a single slide to a voice recording embedded into same slide. The timing is a law unto itself and can change by several seconds each time I play it. As to 'record slideshow' or export to QT - forget it. I am seriously considering taking an axe to the bloody thing.

I am wondering if this is a Lion problem or are folk with Snow Leopard suffering similar probs? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jan 23, 2012 3:27 PM in response to nickfromschull

Hi Nick,

I have Snow Leopard, not lion.

Well put about the timing "being a law unto itself." I would add that the Applecare Iapps techs had no answers either. )-:

I don't give up easily, but this is truly trying my patience.

I thought I had recorded a track in GB to sync with keynote (turned on GB as I was simultaneously recording in Keynote--thinking that I would send the track to itunes, import it via the keynote inspector, export the slideshow to Quicktime w/o the narrated recording but with the audio file, selecting recorded timing....

now the GB doesn't sync with the slides; they seem to have slowed down??? Also, I just realized a possible glitch in that plan, even if the sync worked: I plan to add an instrumental soundtrack, too. Keynote doesn't seem to provide for more than one audio file being added.

I am still wondering if iMovie is a useful part of this puzzle???

Gonna try a bit more tonight then quit.

Jan 24, 2012 2:54 AM in response to dancingletters

Hi Dancingletters,

I am not usually a quitter either but something is fundamentally wrong here; I have made many slideshows in the past, for simple presentation ie click to advance stuff, but I was hoping to make self-playing ones. After days of fruitless effort I have given up... a first for me. I tried so many times (and I can be quite painstaking) I can't stand to hear my own voice anymore!

This is a poor reflection on Apple and its products, which I have always loved before. As you say Apple support - cannot support.

I am sorry to hear this is also a Snow Leopard problem, too. Not sure what to do next - except buy a Dell and use Powerpoint. Desperate times!

Apr 20, 2012 4:57 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

I'm finding iMovie much more versatile than Keynote. It can do what the OP requested.

Here's an excellent tutorial on adding music and a voice over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVeCJ0MOIY&feature=related

Gary moves pretty quickly through the tutorial, and although the main focus is on adding titles, if you watch the video all the way through you will see he touches on most of the topics being discussed in this thread.

For adding markers for automatic transitions, the tutorial in the previous post is very good, as well.

Between these two tutorials, looks to me like you can come up with a pretty amazing presentation.

Message was edited by: AnnieGrace

Record a narrated slideshow for YouTube?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.