4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2011 10:21 AM by Network 23
jayessemm Level 1 (35 points)

When I send an email from Mail I go to the To: line and start to type, the program shows the various choices from my Address Book contacts and refines the list as I type more.

Now my challenge ...

What do I do when someone changes email addresses?

For example let's say I have a friend Joe -- his email was joe@old_email.com and he now is joe@new_email.com.  I have edited Joe's record in my Address Book -- entered the @new_email.com and deleted the @old_email.com  But when I go to send Joe and email Mail wants to send to the old address.

How do I tell Mail to read the new address from the Address Book and not from the history of emails sent to and recieved from Joe?

Any ideas?

Thanks

• AdamKB Level 2 (335 points)

Control-click the old mail address as it appears and choose "Remove from previous recipients list."

• Network 23 Level 6 (11,900 points)

FYI if you click the little white arrow you don't have to press Control. just click.

• jayessemm Level 1 (35 points)

Thanks guys.

I sorry to be so thick but I can't find the "remove from previous recipients list" option.

When I type the old address before it is entered in the To: line I can't do anything other than enter it.  When the address is in the line when I right click or click the little white arrow I have the options to

edit address

remove address

copy address

open in Address Book

create smart mailbox

spotlight "joe@old_email.com"

I'm obviously missing something really obvious.  Any ideas?

• Network 23 Level 6 (11,900 points)

You can try the other way to do it, which is to choose Window/Previous Recipients, find the address in the list (you can use the search field at the top), and click the Remove From List button at the bottom of the window.