Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My clock in the menu bar will not keep time.

However, if I click on it and open Date & Time and do nothing more, it adjusts to the current time but still doesn't work as the seconds aren't advancing. I close Date & Time but the clock stays highlighted/selectted, which is also strange.

Any suggestions as to how to get my clock running again?

iMac 2.6GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 3:55 PM

Hi Peter,

Not certain, but I'd try this...

You've probably got a couple of corrupt preference files.

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/ com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systemuiserver.xxx.plist

where 'xxx' is a 12 digit (hexadecimal) numeric string.

This will reset your Menu Bar to the default, you'll need to go through System Preferences to reset the ones you need. (If they are already checked, uncheck them first and then recheck them).

reboot

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2011 3:55 PM in response to Peter WP

Hi Peter,

Not certain, but I'd try this...

You've probably got a couple of corrupt preference files.

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/ com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systemuiserver.xxx.plist

where 'xxx' is a 12 digit (hexadecimal) numeric string.

This will reset your Menu Bar to the default, you'll need to go through System Preferences to reset the ones you need. (If they are already checked, uncheck them first and then recheck them).

reboot

Sep 17, 2011 5:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply.

The issue had been occuring for the last several days, but the day before I received your reply, I had a Software Update come through. I don't recall what programs required updating, but after the update the problem went away.

As an exercise in trashing Preference Files, I will follow your instructions anyway.

Thanks again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.