Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 9 Merge behavior

Hey folks, I'm a late upgrader to Logic 9, so sorry if this is a newbie question. I'm having an issue with the merge function in 9 that I didn't seem to have in 8.

I'm in the habit of editing regions into small sections (manually "gating" toms via transient edit or strip silence). I don't like dealing with those tiny regions, and in 8 would just select them and MERGE. I'd get the "continous file" warning and hit OK. The regions would be merged with the gaps I'd edited in.

Now in 9 I do the same thing. If I do the same process, there is no warning and the regions get merged back, with the material I'd edited out returned. Not what I wanted. Only if I add fades to the end and starts of the regions does it behave the way I'm used to.

I've obviously missing something in the manual, and know there are new bounce/merge features with a right click. They aren't seeming to do what I want. I'm not wanting to "print" my effects or move the merge to another track. Just want to consolidate the regions to new audio files with the edits. Am I doing something wrong? Preference or Inspector check box I've missed? User idiocy?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 2:53 AM

Hi dscorzish,

I'm experiencing the same thing.

I guess there might be a better solution, by my simple noob workaround for this is converting all of the regions you want to merge to new audio files (just by selecting all of the regions, then look in the Audio menu), then merge (Logic will ask if you want to make a new contigiuous audiofile).

Good look.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2011 2:53 AM in response to dscorzish

Hi dscorzish,

I'm experiencing the same thing.

I guess there might be a better solution, by my simple noob workaround for this is converting all of the regions you want to merge to new audio files (just by selecting all of the regions, then look in the Audio menu), then merge (Logic will ask if you want to make a new contigiuous audiofile).

Good look.

Sep 29, 2011 4:06 PM in response to lostinthesound

Just to be clear… Jan, you're trick is working, it's just more work (and more files on the old hard drive) than it was in 8. LITS, I thought the glue would do what I wanted, expecially since it was explained in the little 9 handbook. However, unless I'm doing something really wrong... it's not working for me. It seems that Merge and Glue are doing exactly the same thing. I have two audio files with a gap... whether I merge or glue... the audio in the gap returns. These are not Apple Loops, and behaves the same way on both files I created and the stupid demo song file Apple Includes.

Step 1: select audio to be discarded

Step 2: divide the audio file (using command backlash)

Step 3: delte the audio file

Step 4: select and merge or select and glue, and the deleted audio returns.

Step 5: Curse that Merge isn't working like it used too;)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Logic 9 Merge behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.